PDA

View Full Version : Normal output T5 bulbs

Myka
03-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Who still makes normal output T5 bulbs? I'm looking for 21 watt 36" bulbs for a client. Is Coralife the only option? :neutral:

gobytron
03-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Outside of a hardware store, I haven't seen much.

I would think that the big box pet stores might have some...

Myka
03-26-2015, 03:11 PM
That's all I could come up with too. I'll go hunting today. :)

mike31154
03-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Problem is, the hardware store is unlikely to have T5 tubes in the colour spectrum(spectra?) we typically prefer/need for our hobby. Folks may not want to see it happen, but fluorescent lighting will continue to become more difficult to find, particularly for our niche market. Going the way of the incandescent.... extinct.

Myka
03-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Yeah Mike, I won't even bother with the hardware store. I stopped by PetSmart, and all they had were freshwater spectrum Aqueon bulbs in 25 watts for 36". I don't think I can run 25 watts in 21 watt fixture can I??

mseepman
03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Mindy, I think that current USA and Deepblue Solarmax are also choices for you. Not sure who still retails them in Canada but they both make 21w 36" bulbs in aquarium colors for you. Hope that helps.

Myka
03-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Ok, thanks Mark. I might have to order online. I'll try the two Petlands today.

mike31154
03-28-2015, 01:25 AM
Yeah Mike, I won't even bother with the hardware store. I stopped by PetSmart, and all they had were freshwater spectrum Aqueon bulbs in 25 watts for 36". I don't think I can run 25 watts in 21 watt fixture can I??

Don't think 3 watts is going to be an issue, but then again, I have no idea what tubes you were looking at. If it's a 36" tube & not HO, then it should be standard wattage. Possibly a misprint on the packaging? Worst case is the 25 watt tube would run a little dimmer and probably last longer. Good look in your quest to keep your client running!

Myka
03-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks Mike. It's to get a client running - he bought an 8' AquaVista panoramic wall tank and wants SW...should be a challenge to make a 32 gallon tank that spreads 8' look full. :p

Myka
04-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Wow, this is turning out to be more difficult than I thought! All the local stores only have freshwater spectrums in stock. I can't even find somewhere to order online. I tried Big Al's even *cringe* and even though they carry the Blue Life SPS bulbs they only had 1 actinic and 1 20K in stock for blues, and I need two blues, two "white". So I can't even find a matching pair! Ugh...

Madreefer
04-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Try Nedco. Dunno if there is any in the prairies

Myka
04-01-2015, 02:44 PM
Try Nedco. Dunno if there is any in the prairies

Yes, we have one here. The trouble is not so much finding 21 watt 36" bulbs, but finding them in actinic or 20K. Thanks though! :)

mike31154
04-02-2015, 01:36 AM
So this is a very long, narrow tank, 8 foot 32 gallons? Definitely a challenge in all respects, flow, lighting, stocking..... T5 lamps are only going to get more difficult to find in the proper spectrum in the future, but you're already kind of finding that out! A tank like this is simply screaming for a LED ribbon or two. Still a challenge to find LED strips with sufficient punch for salt water, but IMO you may as well try to convince the client to jump on the LED bandwagon now, rather than later. Some SMD5630 strips might do the trick to get the tank running.

EDIT: So I did a search on these tanks & see that everything is integrated, including the T5 fixture. These look like they're more suited to being freshwater systems. But the client wants salt? Do they have any salt experience? All well & good, but looks like a recipe for disaster to me.

Myka
04-02-2015, 02:21 AM
I did consider LED but as you saw, it's all integrated so it's not as simple a swap. The client wants saltwater. I'm sure I can make it work. Get his feet wet and with any luck he'll want a bigger tank. ;)

I'll probably do a journal thread once it's up and running. It will be an interesting ride.

mike31154
04-02-2015, 02:28 AM
Kudos to you! The client is always right I reckon. Looking forward to the journal thread. I'm a bit skeptical about the integrated power heads providing sufficient flow in a tank that long. More challenges than just the lighting! If there's someone that can make this work, it would be you!

Myka
04-02-2015, 02:45 PM
Kudos to you! The client is always right I reckon. Looking forward to the journal thread. I'm a bit skeptical about the integrated power heads providing sufficient flow in a tank that long. More challenges than just the lighting! If there's someone that can make this work, it would be you!

Oh you bet, I have already told the client we will need to add a stronger powerhead, maybe two. You should see the "state of the art" filtration system - those two little powerheads have giant foam blocks stuck onto the bottom of them with bioballs stuffed into little pockets in the foam block.

I don't think the client is always right. I'm always honest, and I put forth the challenges. He's very excited about this tank (it does look very cool where he has it mounted). It gets water and rock today - no light (haha).

mike31154
04-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Well if the powerheads need to be upgraded, may as well gut the lights too! NO T5 tubes are going to severely limit livestock choices, even if you are successful in sourcing tubes with a suitable colour spectrum. I assume this is going to be a FOWLR then?

Was almost going to suggest replacing the NO ballasts with some HO jobs, but that would mean more heat & has the potential to void any CSA approval of the fixture that's built in. I guess that would apply for switching to LED as well, the design would need to be carefully thought out so you don't end up being liable for burning the client's house down. Different story if you were building for yourself, although electrical safety standards still apply. Probably wouldn't want to burn your own house down either!

Myka
04-03-2015, 01:18 AM
I'm not modding anything on it. :eek: The current powerheads might do the trick...they are essentially MJ1200s. You'll have to keep an eye out for the journal thread in a few months to find out what's going in it. Obviously no SPS. :p

Myka
04-03-2015, 01:42 AM
Oh and breakthrough...I got the system running today and two of the bulbs are 20K. Ha whoda thunk! I didn't notice before because the labels were turned around (they come pre-installed). I just need to find something to replace the 10K with maybe 15K.