PDA

View Full Version : Tank Tongs

daplatapus
03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
With my upcoming tank I can foresee the need for tongs. 40" high stand +30" high tank = some interesting issues.
I see J&L sells the Eheim plant tongs and the Coralife Aqua Tongs. What's your experience with tongs and/or either of the ones mentioned. Any others worth mentioning?

And..... GO!

Aquattro
03-25-2015, 02:30 PM
I recently used my tongs to retrieve cheese strings from my 5g RO jug. Glad I had them. Mostly though, the jaws stick closed (pre covered in soggy cheese) and I don't use them much :)

Myka
03-25-2015, 02:31 PM
I use both styles. I like the "big grab" style of the Coralife ones for most use and aquascaping (they are strong enough to hold a good-sized rock, and the "small grab" style of the Eheim ones for finicky work like frag placement.

EDIT: To prevent them from getting stuck closed, rinse them in fresh water after use (dip the tong end in your RO tub for quick and easy). Before I use mine I always open and close them a few times too so they get into working order.

Bblinks
03-25-2015, 02:38 PM
I use my ehiem one all the time, best one on the market. I have 2.

daplatapus
03-25-2015, 02:41 PM
EDIT: To prevent them from getting stuck closed, rinse them in fresh water after use (dip the tong end in your RO tub for quick and easy). Before I use mine I always open and close them a few times too so they get into working order.

So in other words, you make sure all the cheese is off of yours? :boink:

Myka
03-25-2015, 02:43 PM
So in other words, you make sure all the cheese is off of yours? :boink:

I don't have kids, so around here it would probably be dog cookies clogging them up. :mrgreen:

H2o2
03-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Yet :wink:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-25-2015, 11:18 PM
Go to the local dollar store and buy their "grabber" tongs for $2. Works great. Last way longer than the $30+ grabbers at the LFS. Even in sw, my $2 tongs last me at least 6 months. The expensive ones last a couple uses and snap.:twised: