PDA

View Full Version : Close Call

danny zubot
09-21-2004, 08:07 PM
I was re-arranging some corals in my tank last night and my Dwarf lion took a run at my hand. I haven't moved that fast in a long time. Anyone in Calgary ever get stuck by a lion? Do the hostpitals have anti-venom?

Quinn
09-21-2004, 09:03 PM
"The venomous nature of this species is substantial and a sting from the red lionfish constitutes a serious health emergency. Localized symptoms of envenomation by the red lionfish include but are not limited to, persistent, intense, throbbing, radiating, sharp pain at the site of envenomation, tingling sensations, sweatiness, and blistering. The worst cases of envenomation may cause systemic repercussions including headache, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, delirium, seizures, paralysis of limbs, a rise or drop in blood pressure, respiratory distress, heart complications including congestive heart failure, pulmonary edema, tremors, muscle weakness, and loss of consciousness. Basic treatment includes immersing the afflicted area in hot water (to 45° C) as past case histories informally indicate that certain components of red lionfish venom may be inactivated by heat. Professional medical attention should be sought in any case of red lionfish envenomation.

The red lionfish is aggressive, even engaging potential threats with a spines forward approach. This species should be treated with care at all times. Worldwide, scorpionfishes rank second only to stingrays in total number of envenomations, with an estimated occurrence of approximately 40,000 - 50,000 cases annually."

:neutral:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/RedLionfish/RLionfish.html

danny zubot
09-21-2004, 09:59 PM
Even though my white line dwarf is a wee little thing it still scared me when it came at me spikes first. Go to know the symptoms just in case,
Thanks!

albert_dao
09-22-2004, 02:36 AM
I've been stung by dwarfs, volitans and fu man chu's on several occasions in the last three years and, thankfully, am not allergic to the reaction (well, as unallergic as anyone is to venom... :neutral:). From my experience, it is like a long and drawn out bee sting with regards to pain level. Not fun.

danny zubot
09-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Did you go to the hospital? if so what did the doctor say? :smile:

albert_dao
09-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Nope. It just wore off. I just applied warm (almost hot) water to the area for several minutes until the pain dissapated.

Edit: keep in mind, though, that I do not have an allergic reaction to the venom.