PDA

View Full Version : no luck with plates

gmann
03-21-2015, 08:15 PM
I just cant catch a break. Paramters are fine, but they still keep dying (flesh keeps tearing off). one day i'll figure it out =(

whatcaneyedo
03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
They have to be fed directly or indirectly. From Marine Invertebrates by Ronald Shimek PH D. "Food and Feeding: Zooxanthellate, but need significant feeding to stay healthy and grow. Will eat small pieces of fish, shrimp, or squid placed on the oral disk." They also tend to die if something constantly picks at them like a butterfly fish, crab etc.

gmann
03-21-2015, 08:26 PM
thanks i did feed, and i dont believe anyone was picking at it. blah im just frustrated lol

gmann
05-23-2015, 06:05 PM
So I gave away my plate to a buddy so he could try and salvage the peice, 2 months later I get it back and its looking good. 2 days later in my tank all the flesh is gone. I dont get it, switched to rodi water, parameters are in check. No one is picking at it. Am I just not meant to have plate corals? Lol

rsisvixen
05-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Sounds like something is eating it, I could be wrong but I think 2 days is way too fast for regular die off

Myka
05-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Do you have any leathers? I've found Plates to be particularly sensitive to leather coral toxins. I fragged up a large leather recently (out of the tank) and both my plate corals started peeling flesh off and died. Them and one Acro were the only corals affected. Carbon and water changes didn't help.

Scythanith
05-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Flow too aggressive?

gmann
05-23-2015, 07:23 PM
@whatcaneyedo: my gyre only @ 50% and i constantly change flow and power throughout the day

@myka: nope, no leathers.

flesh was not peeling off this time around, it just receded, and never bothers coming back up again. im was going to take it out, but a couple ppl mentioned to leave it in, and it may or may not grow babies over time