PDA

View Full Version : Any FW people out there?

Son Of Skyline
04-12-2002, 06:38 PM
Just curious if anyone here keeps FW as well as reefs? If so, what? I used to keep a 135gal Dutch style planted tank but it was WAY more work than any reef could every be. I think people that don't know think that FW is actually easier than SW, but when you get to that level in FW, it's a pain...but damn does it ever look nice!

..Just a random thought and question to bring some sort of life into this forum section smile.gif

StirCrazy
04-12-2002, 08:04 PM
I took down 2 of my fresh water tank but I still have my 37 gal Dutch style planted tank running.. I think I will always keep that one going. ya it is a lot of work but I have migrated to a lot of slower growing plants so I can be lazy a bit now :D

Steve

christyf5
04-14-2002, 12:09 AM
I have a question. What is a "Dutch style" planted tank?? What makes it Dutch?

Christy smile.gif

Son Of Skyline
04-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by christyf5:
I have a question. What is a "Dutch style" planted tank?? What makes it Dutch?

Christy smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">A dutch tank is like the fresh water version of a reef tank. It is a very natural looking system with plants being the focus of the display rather than the fish. Well done dutch style tank are some of the most beautiful tanks you'll ever see. It can make a display that outrivals the nicest reef tank. Of course this is my opinion only smile.gif Problem is that they are alot of work to keep in good condition, otherwise it starts to look like an overgrown lawn!

Mak
04-14-2002, 01:14 AM
75g used to be a "Dutch style" tank full of all types of plants even had grass(can't remember what its actually called) on top of my of my sandbed and 3 large pieces of Mopani wood/roots. Lot's of all types of Discus and 20 Neons. Hehe...definatly a fresh water reef without all the little critters!!!

fishnut
04-14-2002, 01:27 AM
Currently I have 2 FW tanks, a 55g with a Juripari and a Ram, and a 40g planted tank with C02 and MH lighting. The 55g has wood which resembles roots, and there are Java Fern and Anubias growing on it. The planted tank has a variety of plants including Saggitaria, Tiger Lotus, Banana Plant, Crypts, and Sword Plants. A few Rummy Nose Tetras provide some color and movement.

Delphinus
04-14-2002, 02:44 AM
I've always kinda wondered about throwing one of the spare 175W ballasts over my 30g planted tank some day (I may be of Dutch heritage but my tank is no Dutch tank let me tell you! ;) ). Just curious: what bulb(s) do you use over your freshwater tank? Is one of those 4300K "Home Depot specials" sufficient or do you use a daylight bulb, or something else?

StirCrazy
04-14-2002, 08:49 AM
delphinus,if yyou go that high of light you will also have to inject co2 if you are not already.. pretty much anythingover 2watt/gal needs extra co2.. thats why I pick the lower light plants..
I use a combenation of 6500K and hagen power glo's

Steve

[ 14 April 2002, 04:50: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

ltay
01-04-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi

I started out with a 75 g FW tank.

trilinearmipmap
01-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Well I have a 75g fw plant tank and a 58g fw plant tank and 2 33g fw plant tanks.

I started out reading these boards planning a reef but I put these plans on hold due to work, family and the possibility of moving. I wouldn't want to spend 2 years setting up the ultimate reef and then have to break it apart and move.

For any fw plant people I have the following plants to trade by mail:

Anubias barteri v. "Nana"
Sagittaria subulata
Shinnersia rivularis
Hygrophila corymbosa v. "Stricta"
Limnophila sessiliflora
Bacopa caroliniana
Gymnocoronis spilanthroides
Nymphaea lotus v. "Zenkeri"
Echinodorus tenellus
Hemianthus callitriccoides
Hygrophila polysperma v. "Rosanvarig"
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Ludwigia sp. "Cuba"
Rotala macrandra
Rotala indica

Anyway pm me if anyone wants to trade for plants or will sell plants for shipping plus a small amount.