PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my flow

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Hey,

I'm hoping to get some advice and optimising the flow inside my tank. Life has been a little crazy for me and I've neglected it severely and it went downhill really quick.

I'm getting my nutrients under control gradually, but lost a lot of coral to RTN so now I'm really entering recovery and maybe rebuild mode. One of the things that's been bugging me for a while has been a (maybe perceived) lack of a really good plan for flow. I think part of the problem is that the pumps I have are just not moving the water efficiently.

The photo below is what the tank looked like about a year ago, I don't have a photo I'd be proud to share right now so this will have to do. The rock work is unchanged.

Tank is (supposed to be) a mixed reef with LPS/softies down low and SPS mid to upper levels.

Current flow in the tank is a Tunze wavebox and a pair of 6055s. The tank is a standard 75 gallon with center overflow. Return from the sump is pretty minimal, I think in the neighbourhood of 500gph.

Behind the rock is a straight shot for the wavebox across the back of the tank, so the rock isn't really resting against the back glass, there's ~4" between the rock and glass. I've played around a lot with the placement of the 6055's and I just can't seem to get anything I'm super happy with.

One idea I had was to add either an MP40 (new quiet drive) or a Tunze 6105 on the left side glass beside the wavebox and relocate both 6055's to the right side glass, that way the big powerhead wouldn't be fighting the wavebox.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/chrisandheather/75%20Gallon/untitled-14_zpskbx50si3.jpg (http://s40.photobucket.com/user/chrisandheather/media/75%20Gallon/untitled-14_zpskbx50si3.jpg.html)

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Coral Hoarder
03-19-2015, 05:53 AM
Or you could order a maxispect gyre 130 and be done with it lol just got one set up on my 75 and I'm more then happy with it

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 05:55 AM
The Gyre is really tempting. But, I think I'm going to wait a generation or two until they get some of the initial bumps smoothed out so it's out of the question for now.

Myka
03-19-2015, 03:01 PM
What else is going on in your tank? Are you sure it is flow that is your problem? If you've neglected it, how are parameters? What have you tested (with which brand test kits)?

You don't need more pumps for this tank - that would be the last thing I would do. You already have a giant Wavebox in a 4' tank along with two powerheads. Aesthetically, I'd try to hide the powerheads are well as possible. I love Waveboxes, but man they are ugly.

Do you have a controller for the 6055 pumps? If you have pumps facing each other like yours do, they really should be on a controller so that they run opposite of each other (one's on, the other's off) so that they don't work against each other.

Since you have the Wavebox in there, you really just need the 6055 pumps to help with dead spots, and maybe increase velocity near SPS corals. I'd be inclined to move both 6055 pumps behind the rocks on the right side. One near the corner of the tank pointed towards the surface and the front. The other closer to the gap between the rocks down low and pointed towards the front left of the tank so the flow is going through the valley you've made in the rocks. This way you should see neither of these powerheads and you shouldn't need a controller to achieve good flow - if you do buy a controller, set it to a pulse or ramping up and down setting.

The Gyre is really tempting. But, I think I'm going to wait a generation or two until they get some of the initial bumps smoothed out so it's out of the question for now.

You think like me. :)

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
You don't need more pumps for this tank - that would be the last thing I would do. You already have a giant Wavebox in a 4' tank along with two powerheads. .

Agreed, you have enough gear

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 03:24 PM
I've got the 6055's on a controller. I'll try putting them behind the rock and see how that works.

One of the 6055s is pushing 8 years old so I was considering retirement to the backup bin for it, which is why I'm thinking of something bigger to replace it. I always fight the battle between an itch to upgrade something and waiting to get the bitter last bit of use out of a piece of gear before it dies....

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 03:33 PM
If you want to retire them, I'd replace with RW8's.

Myka
03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
If you want to retire them, I'd replace with RW8's.

Omg, you're part of the Jebao club? I am so disappointed... :cry:

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Omg, you're part of the Jebao club? I am so disappointed... :cry:

Of course. Same flow, 25% of cost. Run on my Apex. Can't really see any other options.

Slick Fork
03-19-2015, 06:43 PM
I think if I do replace one, it will be a tunze or vortech. Not really keen on the knockoffs but that's a debate for another thread!

Realized I didn't answer your question myka, I'm not really sure that flow is the cause of my problems, I'm sure my nutrients are the cause of the snotty hair algae that took root. I do feel that it could be better and that improving the flow will help the slow crawl back to a nice looking tank.

Aquattro
03-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Not really keen on the knockoffs but that's a debate for another thread!

Lemme see what I can do :)

Animal-Chin
03-19-2015, 09:15 PM
I have a jebao on my 6 foot tank and it is amazing. I replaced 3 regular flow pumps with just one jebao...

RDNanoGuy
03-20-2015, 08:04 AM
I'm a Tunze believer through and through. I also have an ancient set of 6055's and some 6105's. Never given me a lick of trouble. Got a wavebox too but I'm not using it atm. Jebao's may be 25% the cost but you get what you pay for. I'll be a believer when you can tell me they are still running in 8 years. I have already seen a few with controller failure.

Stick with what you like.

Just my $0.02. :)

donkey77
03-20-2015, 12:06 PM
Jebao's rock
there a throw away pump but for the price you can't beat it