PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar dosing.

krazykarl
03-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Hello,

I have a question regarding Vinegar Dosing and what type of Vinegar to use. I read that you should use Distilled Vinegar but I have not found any. For those that Vinegar dose what brand and type do you use? Also if any Vancouver Islanders know where to get distilled then please let me know where you get yours from.

Regards

Aquattro
03-17-2015, 12:06 AM
I just use regular vinegar.

eli@fijireefrock.com
03-17-2015, 12:16 AM
I just use regular vinegar.

:thumb:
Get mine from the dollar store make sure you get the non added flavours.

krazykarl
03-17-2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks Brad. I used to dose Vodka but going to try Vinegar on this tank so I can use my dosing pump.

crimper
03-17-2015, 02:41 AM
I use noname pure white vinegar from superstore.

FishyFishy!
03-17-2015, 02:55 AM
I buy the walmart pure white vinegar

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c38/bilmaga/20150316_205628_zpshvvecmol.jpg (http://s24.photobucket.com/user/bilmaga/media/20150316_205628_zpshvvecmol.jpg.html)

daplatapus
03-17-2015, 03:32 AM
Thanks Brad. I used to dose Vodka but going to try Vinegar on this tank so I can use my dosing pump.

Why can't you dose vodka with a dosing pump?

Skimmin
03-17-2015, 03:54 AM
I use Heinz vinegar. I dont think it madders but it is distilled. 5%

Wheelman76
03-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Why can't you dose vodka with a dosing pump?

Because vodka is 8 times stronger than vinegar , so if you have a smaller tank it makes dosing vodka difficult to dial in the right amount.

Ram3500
03-17-2015, 04:20 AM
First time dosed Vodka I had a mini tank crash . I was given a bottle and thought I would give it a try. I am going to start Vinegar dosing today hopeful I will get better results this time .

daplatapus
03-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Because vodka is 8 times stronger than vinegar , so if you have a smaller tank it makes dosing vodka difficult to dial in the right amount.

I new the stronger thing, didn't realize the OP was trying this with a small tank.

Aquattro
03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
I new the stronger thing, didn't realize the OP was trying this with a small tank.

Even with a bigger tank, many dosers only do 1ml increments. Vodka needs 0.1ml increments. Starting dose is 0.4ml/100g, then 0.8, 1.3, etc

diggler93
03-17-2015, 03:11 PM
Can't you just dilute your dosing material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquattro
03-17-2015, 03:22 PM

Ya, I don't see why not. But diluted vodka, vinegar, what's the difference? I'm not sure one is better than the other, so pick your poison :)

mikellini
03-17-2015, 05:46 PM

Diluting vodka and/or vinegar could allow bacteria to grow in the dosing container, which would reduce the liquid carbon dose and defeat the purpose. Depends on how much you dilute tho.

daplatapus
03-17-2015, 11:24 PM
I was also under the understanding that vodka grows a different type of bacteria than does vinegar, and different again from sugar. Some have suggested a wee bit of each might be a more well rounded approach. I haven't had the time to look into it any more than that :)

Aquattro
03-17-2015, 11:28 PM
I was also under the understanding that vodka grows a different type of bacteria than does vinegar, and different again from sugar. Some have suggested a wee bit of each might be a more well rounded approach. I haven't had the time to look into it any more than that :)

I think nobody really knows, and it's mostly speculation. Although, if I dose, I do use a VSV mixture just in case. And it sounds cooler :)

warriorcookie
03-17-2015, 11:49 PM

The way I've always looked at it: Ethanol oxidizes (ferments) into acetaldehyde which then oxidizes to Acetic Acid (Vinegar). Each of the steps along the way support different bacteria. I've never known exactly how much gets converted vs consumed along the way, so I experimented with a mix of Vodka and Vinegar with good results.

Honestly, I don't have much time for tinkering anymore. I just use Prodibio every couple weeks now. I've found the results to be great and there's no risk of taking it too far, not like Vodka/Vinegar.