PDA

View Full Version : Icecap Pendants

deano
09-21-2004, 12:36 AM
Has anyone seen the new pendants available from Icecap? I uses a mogul socket type DE 150 or 70 watt bulb. The DE bulb is housed inside a flood type bulb with an internal reflector. Very slick. Does anyone know if any places in Canada are selling them yet. If the DE is housed inside a flood light, does that mean that it doesn't need a glass cover. Maybe it is possible to just buy a MH mogul and retrofit it cheap.

StirCrazy
09-21-2004, 02:47 AM
I uses a mogul socket type DE 150 or 70 watt bulb. .

ok your confusing me a mogul socket and a DE bulb will not work togeather. are you using a double ended bulb that looks like the ones in the halogen work lights? if so that is not a mogul socket, a mogul socket looks like a giant light bulb screw in type socket.

Steve

Bob I
09-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I had a look at Premiumaquatics site. They show a new IceCap spot pendant that uses a new Iwasaki medium base screw in bulb. It comes in 70 or 150W flavors. Is that it. :question:

Doug
09-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Steve, check the article out here. Pretty interesting.

www.advancedaquarist.com

StirCrazy
09-22-2004, 11:15 PM

www.advancedaquarist.com

yup thats a standard PAR type bulb.. not a DE bulb though anymore. a lot of halogens and MH are in this configuration. going to be good for small tanks but useless on larger ones unless you buy a lot.. only have a 12X12" coverage with any reasonable PAR levels.

Steve

Bob I
09-23-2004, 05:14 PM

www.advancedaquarist.com

yup thats a standard PAR type bulb.. not a DE bulb though anymore. a lot of halogens and MH are in this configuration. going to be good for small tanks but useless on larger ones unless you buy a lot.. only have a 12X12" coverage with any reasonable PAR levels.

Steve

I hate to be disagreeable :rolleyes: , but upon looking at the picture, I see a PAR type of bulb that has been converted to hold a DE bulb. As to the coverage, I think you are right. There would not be any decent light spread. :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
09-23-2004, 11:06 PM

www.advancedaquarist.com

Steve

I hate to be disagreeable :rolleyes: , but upon looking at the picture, I see a PAR type of bulb that has been converted to hold a DE bulb. As to the coverage, I think you are right. There would not be any decent light spread. :mrgreen:

semantics, they mounted the DE, which is the same as the guts of the normal mogal, other than being mounted in a tube with a few extra ion catchers and support bracket its pretty much the same. so they took this and mounted it in a PAR standard. so you define a bulb by the base type and this is now a PAR type bulb. this will have its applications as now you can set up your own DIY with a PAR socket and not have to buy that but ugly Icecap monstrosity of a pendant that looks like something from battle star galactica. :mrgreen:

Steve