PDA

View Full Version : Frozen food thawed- Help

fishoholic
03-15-2015, 03:43 AM
Crap crap crap crap!!!!!!!!! Bought a large pack of Hikari bio pure mysis and forgot it in the car for the past 5 hrs. It's totally melted, but doesn't look like its gone bad yet (as in the colour of it looks ok, and it hasn't turned brown yet). Money is tight right now, so I put it in the freezer to re-freeze it. However I know if money wasn't tight I wouldn't trust it and would of put it in the garbage. My question is should I throw it out or do you think it might be ok re-freezing it? Anyone else ever have this happen? Help Please

lockrookie
03-15-2015, 03:54 AM
Was it still cold or warm

Aquattro
03-15-2015, 03:55 AM
I did that, I tossed it. Just in case. I dunno, what's going to happen refreezing? Probably not "food safe" but hey it's frozen fish food :)

lockrookie
03-15-2015, 03:58 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2454806

lockrookie
03-15-2015, 04:05 AM
On a personal note I would re freeze it if it was cold use it only as long as I had to until I had the extra cash to replace then chuck it... If it was extremely warm and not cold then chuck it

fishoholic
03-15-2015, 04:10 AM
It wasn't warm, but wasn't all that cold either. Totally sucks, but I'd rather toss it then risk making my fish sick. Just thought if there was a chance it'd be fine.......*sigh* :sad:

lockrookie
03-15-2015, 04:29 AM
Sorry if I could I'd help you out maybe a fellow refer can lend ta a bit till things perk up for you... Pay it forward ppl.

I'd send you some but all my mysis has freezer burn and would not fair well from sask

monocus
03-15-2015, 04:30 AM
it's not for human consumption.we don't refreeze frozen food because we are picky on what we eat.other than getting freezer burnt there shouldn't be any problem

fishoholic
03-15-2015, 04:36 AM
Sorry if I could I'd help you out maybe a fellow refer can lend ta a bit till things perk up for you... Pay it forward ppl.

I'd send you some but all my mysis has freezer burn and would not fair well from sask

Thanks, but while money is tight right now (hence it being hard to toss $24 worth of food out, especially if on the off chance it's fine) I can buy more if needed. Just hurts wasting money when right now there's not extra to waste.

chef
03-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Unless it was warm and bubbling, I wouldn't worry about it. Freezing it will kill the bacteria, and thinking ur going to rinse b4 use anyway. I'm a chef and eatin plenty of questionable shrimp in my day.

rsisvixen
03-15-2015, 04:44 AM
I would not throw it away. If it was perhaps the middle of summer maybe but I doubt it got warmer that 10 degrees celcius where you left it and bacteria do like warmer temps to get going. And in the wild fish will eat dead and decaying things in the ocean and seem to be just fine-lol

fishoholic
03-15-2015, 04:51 AM
Good news (I posted this on a facebook fish forum) and Neal from Marine Expirence offered to give me some of his frozen food supply. I did recently give him a free light (wasn't sure if it works) so this him paying it forward for that :biggrin:

lockrookie
03-15-2015, 04:51 AM
Thanks, but while money is tight right now (hence it being hard to toss $24 worth of food out, especially if on the off chance it's fine) I can buy more if needed. Just hurts wasting money when right now there's not extra to waste.

I completely understand

Myka
03-17-2015, 02:51 PM
5 hours? It's in a sealed container, I would use it.

Coral Hoarder
03-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Freezing it does not kill bacteria just puts them into a dormant stage the only reason we have been tought not to refreeze things is texture and the fish don't care

Ever seen that documentary about the rotting whail on the sea Flore and all the fish eating it past the 4 month mark

I left fish food out in a container till it dried still fed it and all way well

Coral Hoarder
03-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Freezing it does not kill bacteria just puts them into a dormant stage the only reason we have been tought not to refreeze things is texture and the fish don't care

Ever seen that documentary about the rotting whail on the sea Flore and all the fish eating it past the 4 month mark

I left fish food out in a container till it dried still fed it and all was well

gobytron
03-17-2015, 11:11 PM
some great food for thawed on this thread.