PDA

View Full Version : Vertex ro/di help

Christopher
03-12-2015, 02:59 AM
So I just hooked up my vertex ro/di 100g deluxe unit. And I was wondering if its normal for it to run @140-145psi? I have it hooked up to my sink in the laundry room.

ronau
03-12-2015, 03:04 AM
Mine do.

WarDog
03-12-2015, 05:13 AM
Sounds like the booster pump is doing its job! Do you know what your house pressure is before the rodi?

My Vertex runs at about 100 - 105 psi, and that's only because my house tops out at 35 psi, and it's hooked up to the longest possible run in the house (kitchen).

Skimmin
03-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Mine runs between 150 and 160 psi.

Christopher
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Sounds like the booster pump is doing its job! Do you know what your house pressure is before the rodi?

My Vertex runs at about 100 - 105 psi, and that's only because my house tops out at 35 psi, and it's hooked up to the longest possible run in the house (kitchen).

Unfortunately I don't know the incoming pressure, I figured it wasn't very good because of the pressure at the taps and shower in this old house.. But It is a fairly straight shot to that sink. I'll have to pick up a gage and check it out. I thought the pump would run @ 100-110 psi, since the pump has a bypass set @110 psi. So basically the pump is doing nothing then?

Christopher
03-12-2015, 05:23 PM
Mine runs between 150 and 160 psi.

Mine do.

Have you guys measured the waste to product water to see what it's making? Also how long have you had it, how much does it run, how often do you change your filters?

Myka
03-13-2015, 02:57 AM
One of my clients has a Vertex Deluxe RO/DI and it was running around 160 ppm iirc. I emailed Vertex about it and they didn't seem to think running that high was good.

We have chloramines here and pushing the water through the unit that fast was allowing chlorine/amine into the RO membrane. Burned through a membrane real quick. Now the booster is unplugged it runs like a champ and the RO membrane is on track. :)

Skimmin
03-13-2015, 05:23 AM
Mine has been running at 150 to 160psi since day one. No chloramines here. Been running it for 4 months, still reading 0ppm on the tds. I guess one big thing here is our water pressure here is really high at about 100 psi. If I had lower inlet pressure I might be concerned. Typically you never see over 80 psi for a building pressure (80 psi is code maximum)but there is no pressure reducing valve here to keep it lower. On a good note for making rodi I was happy to see I had such high pressure.

Myka
03-13-2015, 03:35 PM
My understanding is that the main concern is the fittings and housings being able to handle the pressure as I understand most are rated for 100 psi working pressure. The membranes themselves can handle something like 250 psi as far as I know. I'm not sure though, all I know is I'm not comfortable with the unit running at 150 psi.

Myka
03-13-2015, 09:59 PM
Here's the reply I got from Proline Aquatics.

We recommend the units to be run between 90-100 PSI. If someone runs one of the Deluxe units (the units with a booster pump) and they already have a high PSI coming out of the taps, the booster pump can push it too high….this is likely what is happening for these folks. This will reduce the length of time the membrane is effective.
You can put a limiting valve between the water source and the unit to reduce the pressure so that you can still use the Deluxe unit and not have this high PSI issue. Alternatively, we also have a basic unit with no booster pump.