PDA

View Full Version : LF basic Controller - Temp. GVRD

maron6977
03-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi, I'm new to controllers . Just want one to run my temp. Gets too cold runs heater (poss. 2) & too hot will run fan or chiller. Don't want to spend a ton & don't need all the whistles & bells . Just something accurate & works .
Open to suggestions if anyone reads this & has input .
Thanks Mark

mkj
03-12-2015, 06:02 AM
no controller needed if only for heaters and chiller. They have built in temp control.

But, if you really must have a controller then a simple Apex Junior will suffice for what you want.. Controller is a waste of money for just keeping temps.

CM125
03-12-2015, 02:30 PM
http://www.aqualogicinc.com/products/temp_controllers/

Comes in dual stage, good for running heaters and fans with no temp sensor. Should be under $200.

davej
03-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Controller is a waste of money for just keeping temps.

I completely disagree.
If you have a fair sum of money invested in your tank inhabitants, be it fish, plants or corals. A controller is a fantastic investment.
I have more than one and would recommend a reefkeeper lite, you can usually pick one up used for around $100. I has a four outlet powerbar, the power on all four are switchable and controlled by the parameters you choose. You can have your heater plugged into one and it will come on when your temp drops below the set point. You can have a fan in another that will come on if tank temp gets above your set point as well. Still leaving two outlets for lighting control or whatever you choose.The programming is dead simple.
Good luck

CM125
03-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I completely disagree.
If you have a fair sum of money invested in your tank inhabitants, be it fish, plants or corals. A controller is a fantastic investment.
I have more than one and would recommend a reefkeeper lite, you can usually pick one up used for around $100. I has a four outlet powerbar, the power on all four are switchable and controlled by the parameters you choose. You can have your heater plugged into one and it will come on when your temp drops below the set point. You can have a fan in another that will come on if tank temp gets above your set point as well. Still leaving two outlets for lighting control or whatever you choose.The programming is dead simple.
Good luck

Are you talking about the Apex Junior?

Ryanerickson
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Controller is totally not a waste of money for just heating cooling, heaters break and get stuck in the on position often. without controller your tank becomes a hot tub. also reefkeeper is I think 120 new, lot cheaper then apex jr.

CM125
03-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Controller is totally not a waste of money for just heating cooling, heaters break and get stuck in the on position often. without controller your tank becomes a hot tub. also reefkeeper is I think 120 new, lot cheaper then apex jr.

Do you have a link to reefkeeper?

gregzz4
03-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Reefkeeper Lite (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/da-rk1/Digital+Aquatics+Reefkeeper+Lite+Aquarium+Controll er+%28L1%29.html)

Ranco dual stage temp controller (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html)

If you want dirt cheap, can wire it yourself and don't plan on needing expandability;
Ranco single stage temp controller (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html) (not pre-wired)

mkj
03-12-2015, 06:59 PM
throw your money away then, advertising got you guys. statistically controllers error/brake more often than heaters do.

I agree for large expensive tanks but someone who just wants temp control and nothing else doesn't have a large expensive tank or they would get all the bells and whistles. If they spent thousands of dollars on a tank they would get a proper controller if concerned with crash. Every heater I have ever owned has lasted more than a decade "my experience only". I cant say the same about my controllers. I do use one though because I also have thousands in my tank but it controllers many things not just temps. I don't own a cooler because I have air-conditioning.

To each as their own, that is why I recommended a controller even though I think for his situation it sounds like he doesn't need one. Not knowing more information though I'll just leave it at that. Reefkeeper suck by the way and don't get me started about their customer service. Well known to be not up to par right now.

gregzz4
03-12-2015, 07:19 PM
Reefkeeper suck by the way and don't get me started about their customer service
Don't know what problems you've had, but my only customer service experience with them was good.
And I've been running my controller for coming up on 3 years without issues

mkj
03-12-2015, 07:57 PM
search reviews for the new Archon controller "modern reefkeeper" and you will read about the horrible customer service Digital Aquatics has right now. People are upset with Digital Aquatics not just because their getting a product that doesn't work because of a manufacturing problem but trying to get customer service to fix has been a nightmare for them.

will get better once Digital Aquatics fixes the manufacturing error but they have lost many customers because of it.

davej
03-12-2015, 08:35 PM
MKJ
Have you ever owned a reef keeper? Or just because you have read it on the internet it must be true? I have one for what seems like ten years now. Still going strong no issues.. In fact I own five of them, one on each tank. In my opinion a great starter controller. Apex is the cats meow but price prohibitive. No way will I trust the bi metallic strip on a heater to control the temps on the thousands of dollars in fish in my tanks. Just my opinion

maron6977
03-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the input !
Reason I want one : forget to turn fan off at night , after hot summer day . I've had the temp swing 6-8 degrees.
I think I'll give the reefkeeper lite a try !!!
Anyone have a used one for sale ???

maron6977
03-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Also can I plug 2 heaters in & have them come on at seperate temps ?

CM125
03-12-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the input !
Reason I want one : forget to turn fan off at night , after hot summer day . I've had the temp swing 6-8 degrees.
I think I'll give the reefkeeper lite a try !!!
Anyone have a used one for sale ???

Strange... this conversation sold me on an APEX JR lol

maron6977
03-13-2015, 02:16 AM
Ya , but how much is that !

davej
03-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Also can I plug 2 heaters in & have them come on at seperate temps ?

Most definitely, you can use one outlet for lights one for fan and other two for heaters. Each outlet can have its own set point for temp that you want heater to come on at.

CM125
03-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Ya , but how much is that !

It looks like just under $300, but the future adaptability is worth that extra cash. Does what I want know and if I expand later, I don't need to spend again. Im betting you could also run two tanks with it too.

Most definitely, you can use one outlet for lights one for fan and other two for heaters. Each outlet can have its own set point for temp that you want heater to come on at.

Sold!

gobytron
03-13-2015, 09:25 PM
does Neptune still make aqua controllers?

I have been very, very happy with mine for nearly 8 years, and I bought is used.

Its the green screen version, for those of you who know how ancient that is.

N/M....just did a search and I see Apex and Neptune ore one and the same.