PDA

View Full Version : New topic!

Silverfish
12-13-2001, 08:39 PM
Who started their reef-keeping addiction with freshwater tanks, and who still has some?

I started with a 90g African Cichlid tank and then I saw a reef tank... images/smiles/icon_eek.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Bruce

StirCrazy
12-13-2001, 08:49 PM
I still have 3 fresh water tanks going.. going to cut it down to one fresh and one reef though..

Steve

christyf5
12-13-2001, 08:57 PM
I had a 48G African Cichlid tank up until October when I decided it would look much better as a reef tank. Of course the cichlids didn't think so images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

StirCrazy
12-13-2001, 09:06 PM
hehe I couldent take down my 37gal planted tank.. I have worked to hard on that one and it is to nice looking

Steve

Aquattro
12-14-2001, 12:24 AM
I started with Discus. & tanks of them! Talk about work!!!!!!

reefburnaby
12-14-2001, 01:14 AM
Hi

Started out in a 10G goldfish tank. Learned the hard way to keep fish -- first batch of fish die from ick in 2 weeks after the start.

To make the story a little bit more interesting, I originally had 10G with an Aquaclear. The Aquaclear just sucked and it kill a couple of fish for me (its worse than any Seaclone) -- nobody in the family wants anything to do with that filter. So...I put a canister filter in the 10G...a Fluval 403 (that's 300gph design for a 100G tank). The amazing part is that we were able to keep Goldfish alive for a very long time with this setup -- go figure.

Later we upgraded to 33G...and it is still running today (just past 5 years).

- Victor.

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

titus
12-14-2001, 02:08 AM
Hello,

I started with goldfish as well. Three large goldfish in a I guess 2 gallon tank. They never die, at least until I gave them to the new tenant prior to coming to Canada.

gboots
12-14-2001, 10:48 PM
It all started with a 33g as a gift for my wife. Didn't have the money for salt water at the time. I was addicted and wanted something brighter and with more personality. So I got a 20 African Chiclid tank.

We came across a bit of money and switched the 33g to reef and sold the 20g. And I know its only a matter of time and money till it gets bigger. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Delphinus
12-19-2001, 01:14 PM
I had to prove to the boss that I was capable of caring for a freshwater tank before I was "allowed" to get into salt.

I still those fish with me today five years later! images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing is my tapwater in Calgary is WAY better for the reef (or African cichlids) than it is for a planted freshwater tank. I actually do more to maintain a clean tank on my freshwater tank than I do on my other three reef tanks combined. The reefs are somewhat self regulating. The planted freshwater ... needs a fair bit of intervention on my part.

One day ... an RODI unit, methinks. But I'd probably stick with my tapwater for the reefs! (Unless I moved to someplace with different water...)

How many people have a sump on their freshwater tank? My planted freshwater is a 33g and I don't have a sump but I was thinking of adding one when I take down my 50g reef because I'll have a spare O/F box then. (I'm totally sold on sumps nowadays!) images/smiles/icon_cool.gif