PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Rowaphos effectiveness for the purpose of Algae Control

jostafew
03-10-2015, 04:03 AM
Hey everyone, I know that in order to verify the really low concentrations of Phosphates that SPS keepers are after a Hanna low range checker is the only way to go. However, if my only goal at this point is to reduce Phosphate levels low enough to eliminate nuisance algae growth will a Salifert test kit reading zero be sufficient to indicate that the Rowa in my reactor is still functioning adequately, or will the amounts slipping by that test kit due to Rowa reaching saturation be sufficient to sustain the algae problem?

Craigdillman
03-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Yea those kits works just fine it's just hard to tell once you get to low levels what color of light blue it is that matches the light off blue of the card I got tired of guessing and asking my wife to double check finally got the Hanna won't look back

Myka
03-10-2015, 03:14 PM
got the Hanna won't look back

Me too. I love the Hanna Checkers for phosphate and phosphorus.

Imo, if you're looking to control phosphate for the purpose of an ULNS (ultra low nutrients system) for SPS corals, then the Ultra Low Range HI-736 model that reads in ppb (rather than the HI-713 which reads in ppm) is a must. The HI-713 checker is just fine for the average Joe with a mixed reef. I use the Hi-713 for most of my clients' tanks, but I do get "0.00" readings with it in lower nutrient tanks where the HI-736 checker will still get a reading.

If you are fighting algae, the Salifert kit is probably good enough for now as long as you aim to never see color on that kit. The drawback is that you don't know if you're over-doing the RowaPhos which in my experience, may be detrimental.

Duckhams
03-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Hey jostafew! Rowaphos is powerful stuff and a test kit reading of 0ppm is a good start to eliminating an algae issue! But P04 is not the only thing that will cause or prevent algae growth (light, flow, nutrients etc). Some P04 can be a good thing, my tank sits at 0.04-0.08ppm on the high end but very little algae grows. I believe good flow and balanced nutrient levels keep it in check, if algae starts to grow more than usual, it's a good indicator my nutrient levels are higher than they should be. I'll dial back the amino's and coral feeding for a bit, and with some good wet skimming, that usually takes care of it.