PDA

View Full Version : Algae Removal question

jostafew
03-10-2015, 03:57 AM
Hey everyone, this is far from the first and I'm sure won't be the last post asking for advice on Algae control, but I think I have a little different question. I'm aware that nuisance algae (and cyano etc.) arise from phosphates, nitrates, silicates in the water column and are a natural result, but my question however is around removing the algae once the source of the nutrients is found and corrected (RODI filter elements overdue for replacement)

I'm winning the battle against the cyano by siphoning through a filter sock followed by a 10% WC, but the green hair algea (looks like this: http://www.waldonell.com/workspace/reefphotos/_j8t2070.jpeg) that is covering 75% of the LR is pretty stubborn, and even hard to scrub off of the rocks that I can easily remove from the tank. I'm running Rowaphos in a reactor and trying to do mechanical cleaning but it's tough. If I continue with regular WC's and running Rowa can I expect the hair algae to fade away on its own or am I going to have to take a more active roll in physically removing it?

Also I'm assuming that the LR and sand bed have been saturated with whatever nutrient(s) caused the issue, how long would one expect it to take for the Algae and Cyano to feed off those nutrients and take it with them when I physically remove it? I feel like I've been at this forever and only recently has the Cyano regrowth begun to slow.

Thanks in advance

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 04:05 AM
I found in my battle that removing the causative issues wasn't enough. IMHO, once the algae has a foothold it'll trap the nutrients underneath itself and you have to remove the algae plus the nutrients it's trapped beneath it.
Removing the nutrients from the water column isn't enough as the algae will feed itself on the trapped nutrients underneath, and will also keep trapping nutrients in it's own growth.

lockrookie
03-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Dollar store toothbrushes are my friends

jostafew
03-10-2015, 05:06 AM
Greg, so if I understand then you're saying that I must physically remove the algae in order to free the nutrient trapped beneath it?

I hoped that the algae would just melt away but somehow knew it might come to this.

Thanks

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 05:18 AM
That's how I think of it. IME, if you leave it it'll keep growing and trapping more nutrients. If you scrub it off it may just spread around more - at least that's what happened to me.

Physical removal on top of nutrient control is the best option. Adding critters to eat it just keeps the nutrients in the water column so you won't totally eradicate it.

reef-keeper
03-10-2015, 12:49 PM
I have been battling this for about 6-7 months. I tried all kinds of treatments, from pulling off the excess to removing the rock and scrubbing with a tooth brush. That stuff is very hard to get a hold off. Found dr. Tim's Waste Away and constant 30-50% water changes. Plus a totally new feeding regiment. I finally obtained a 0.01 phosphate reading on my Hanna Checker. Last night!! My tank is a 5.5 gallon pico tank. Plus I also increase my magnesium to the higher end which will help a bit. Plus I was reading about using a hydrogen peroxide treatment. You have to remove the rock and dip it in for about 10-15 minutes. Never tried it, still trying to find out more about it. Hope this helps!