PDA

View Full Version : What's on my trigger?

jason604
03-10-2015, 03:41 AM
So I've got my trigger for about 2 weeks now and today was the first day he actually came out n chill around tank all day. Normally he just hides under a rock. I notice something near his tail. It doesn't look like ick it's too big n not fully white. Is this bad? I did not quarantine him but I did. Inspect him when I bought it and he did not have anything on him before. He still eats like a pig and looks super happy. My hippo tang that I bought same day as him did get ick the day that I swap tanks(must have stressed him) but it went away the very next day and he's super happy n eats tons. Should I be worried about my trigger or is it just a scrape on the rocks? He's my fav fish!

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b578/kosin604/9D974515-1A78-48FF-8FA6-A1B90F04B8D1_zpstwqnntdx.jpg (http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/kosin604/media/9D974515-1A78-48FF-8FA6-A1B90F04B8D1_zpstwqnntdx.jpg.html)

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 03:58 AM
Could it be missing scales from a battle or rock collision ? Or does it protrude ?

jason604
03-10-2015, 04:07 AM
Could it be missing scales from a battle or rock collision ? Or does it protrude ?

It's slightly protruding. Can it be just swollen from crashing into rocks?

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 04:17 AM
Near as I can tell in the pic it looks like damage and missing scales/skin. If I'm right the pattern doesn't look like a disease, but don't quote me

Whether I'm right or not, keep your water quality up (water changes enough to make a difference - 25 to 50% at a time) and feed well. No ammonia or nitrites and low nitrates

If it's a healthy fish it'll heal on it's own given a clean environment and lots of nutrients

jason604
03-10-2015, 04:37 AM
My water is not good right now. Since I did my tank swap I forgot to put my Gfo and carbon reactor! Checked phosphates yesterday and it was at 0.19. Almost all my sps turned brown or bleached. Doing a 25% water change Tmr.

rishu_pepper
03-10-2015, 04:39 AM
From what I've read, ich doesn't go away unless you act upon it (TTM, copper, CP, hypo) so that means ich is in your system by now, judging from what you said about the hippo tang. Just because no fish shows symptoms doesn't mean it's not there.

Hopefully your fishes will be fine, but IMHO it's something to be taken care of.

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 04:41 AM
Carbon will make a difference, but I can't see PO4 affecting water quality for fishes. Either way, don't overdo these right now as you'll more than likely cause your corals more stress, so take it slow

Check your ammo, nitrites and nitrates and base your WCs on those #s

gregzz4
03-10-2015, 04:43 AM
There's ich in there too ?
Man you have your hands full then

jason604
03-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Ich is visabally gone but I dunno. Yea I got a lot happening since he tank upgrade. Sps al look so bad. But all my LPS looks amazing n super colorful

rishu_pepper
03-10-2015, 07:45 AM
Even if the ich is not visible at the moment (no white spots or rapid breathing), the ich is already in the system, unfortunately, which means all current livestock (and future) and live rocks in the tank can and are carrying it. The only sure fire way to get rid of it is to leave tank fallow for 72 days, while treating the fishes with TTM, copper, CP, or hypo.

I'm about to set up my new tank and this is what I'm gonna do. Furthermore, consider QT so future additions won't get it.

jason604
03-10-2015, 08:21 AM
That's too much work n trouble. Just gonna keep feeding n keep them happy. Fishing each out now n isolating system will stress n make things worse imo.

untamed
03-11-2015, 12:04 AM
I don't think ich has anything to do with how your triggerfish looks. They don't tend to be the first fish to show problems with ich. My guess is that is an injury, which will be gone soon enough. I agree with your strategy of feeding and general healthy practices.

jason604
03-11-2015, 08:35 PM
Yesterday his wounds were really white and big. Protruding a lot. But today the white is gone and his skin rly looks like it's healing really fast. U can barely tell something was wrong. Still slight discoloration but I'm surprised it healed that fast

jason604
03-14-2015, 08:25 PM
His wounds is pretty much healed but today he is upside down outta nowhere n almost dead. He was swimming n eating normally yesterday.. I took him out n put in a bucket with an air pump for now. Dunno how this can happen so suddenly...

jason604
03-15-2015, 12:26 AM
Yup it's dead. How does a fish go from eating like a pig the day before and belly up today?

WarDog
03-15-2015, 01:21 AM
Crap. Sorry to hear.

jason604
03-15-2015, 04:59 AM
Crap. Sorry to hear.

Thx man everything going downhill recently since new tank. My sps turning to **** now trigger dies unexpectedly. So I have a lil theory. I think my yellow tang is the culprit. This morning before I went to work I saw my trigger on the opposite side of the tank in a cave which is rly weird cuz he aways I his cave sleeping during that time and the yellow tang was in his cave. Just got home now n the tang still in the triggers original cave. So I'm suspected that he killed the trigger n stole his spot. They r pretty much the same size both 4-5" but the tang is a lot fatter. I just inspected the triggers body and I don't rly see any ripped or tears. Soooo I dunno.... But I wll do a 20g water change tomorrow.