PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclears!

fluxuploll
03-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Hey guys,

Since I've heard many good things about the diy Aquaclear refugiums, I decided to try it out. Problem is, they are noisy!!!!!!!!!!! Not the impeller, it's the motor. I've bought and returned a total of 2 aquaclear 70's and a 110. They were all noisy, like a constant humming sound. I don't know how to compare the sound, but it is as noisy as my mini fridge.

I've owned numerous amounts of hob filters and the aquaclears are definitely the loudest of them all. I've heard that they're suppose really quiet. Is it just my bad luck that I'm getting all these defective units or are they really that loud?

Please help!

intarsiabox
03-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Mine have always been silent, even a second hand AC70 I bought. I can't say I've bought any new ones in the last couple of years though but I would hope they didn't get worse. It usually takes a few minutes for the pump to work out the bubbles and get a nice siphon going but after that I can't hear them run.

fluxuploll
03-10-2015, 01:34 AM
Yeh, I'm thinking the quality control on these things have gotten worse over the years. It seems like everyone with older aquaclears have the awesome aquaclears we all hear about. Has anyone recently purchased aquaclears and have this problem? Any ways to solve it??? All the aquaclears I've owned vibrated pretty crazily, I can feel it when on the floors 2-3 feet away lol.