PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to buy...

jess128
09-20-2004, 01:26 AM
A friend gave me a $100 gift certificate for Aquarium Illusions and I don't know what to buy! My tank is a 65 gallon and it's just got some base rock in it at the moment. Blkwolfe is going to vancouver sometime next month and is bringing back a bunch of LR and I've got about 50lbs on order. He said it should be here around october 15th. I'm thinking I could get some live rock with the money, or I could save it and get some fish when I'm ready. But I really want to spend it now... any ideas?

-Jess

Beverly
09-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Jess,

Wait. Rock is rock is rock. Buy fish or corals with the money. You'll be glad you waited :cool:

jess128
09-20-2004, 02:16 AM
If you say so... I'm just getting so impatient with this tank! It's been sitting in my room with just base rock for a good 3 months... :sad: but you're probably right, I'll be glad I saved it. Besides, LR at aquarium illustions is $10/lb! I'm getting mine for $4.50... :biggrin:

kuatto
09-20-2004, 02:24 AM
Hey Jess
know how you feel,my 115 tall has been sitting in the garage for ever,just havent had the cash to buy the pump for it.I'd love to say the heck with drilling and sumps and just fill it up useing canister filters,but I'm going to fight the urge and do it right :biggrin: So don't worry,you'll be glad you waited when its all set up and running.

Beverly
09-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Jim,

We don't have sumps or canister filters on any of our tanks. Heck, don't even have sandbeds :eek: I don't think there is a right way or wrong way to set up a tank as long as you take into consideration the basic requirements of nutrient export in some manner or other. Don't have to have a sump for that. Plus, without a sump, you NEVER have floods :cool:

Aquattro
09-20-2004, 03:07 AM
Plus, without a sump, you NEVER have floods :cool:

I once had 1100 sq. ft. of brand new carpet that says you're wrong....

Nothing like squish, squish under your feet at 3am... :rolleyes:

Quinn
09-20-2004, 03:47 AM
Jess I definitely recommend you wait for the stuff from J&L. Save the $100 for livestock later that can be a bigger pain to ship.

Beverly
09-20-2004, 12:45 PM
Plus, without a sump, you NEVER have floods :cool:

I once had 1100 sq. ft. of brand new carpet that says you're wrong....

Skimmer screwed up or seam on the tank broke? Forgot to mention we don't use skimmers, either.

jess128
09-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the replies once again. The tank is filled up already! It's been full of RO water since about April.... ya it sucks. The filters have been running, heaters on, powerheads are in place, SG is 1.025... so I'm ready for some rock! I don't have a sump, I don't think I'll be getting one of those. If I've waited this long I'm sure I can wait another month for this rock. I'll keep the $100 and get some fish and/or corals with it.

reef_raf, I've had 2 floods in my room, one major one. I just replaced the carpet so I'm really hoping I won't have to deal with another flood! Thanks again for the help guys.

-Jess

Aquattro
09-20-2004, 11:37 PM
Skimmer screwed up

Ah, you got me there!! The skimmer returned 90g to the floor instead of the tank.
You should use a skimmer, they're fun. Lots of bubbles and stuff... :razz:

Beverly
09-21-2004, 12:55 AM
You should use a skimmer, they're fun. Lots of bubbles and stuff... :razz:

Had battles with a skimmer a few years back. Been there, done that, got the soaked floors to prove it :bad-word: Luckily the tank was on lino so mop up was much easier than it would have been on hardwood or carpet :eek:

Aquattro
09-21-2004, 01:02 AM
I hear ya! Although my recent years have been (mostly) flood free. I thought once that one of my hoses didn't need a clamp. I thought wrong. :razz:
Skimmers have worked flawlessly though for several years now.

Richer
09-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the replies once again. The tank is filled up already! It's been full of RO water since about April.... ya it sucks. The filters have been running, heaters on, powerheads are in place, SG is 1.025... so I'm ready for some rock! I don't have a sump, I don't think I'll be getting one of those. If I've waited this long I'm sure I can wait another month for this rock. I'll keep the $100 and get some fish and/or corals with it.

-Jess

I'm glad that you've decided to wait. If anyone asks me what the single most important thing that I've taken away from this hobby.... it would be the value of patience. That and researching stuff ahead of time :mrgreen:

-Richer

jess128
09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
That's what I've been doing with my impatience: research research and more research. I'll be an expert by the time I get fish in there... I just hope there aren't any more delays on this LR. I hope to get the rock in there when it's supposed to be here (october 13) and then I'll have the cycle finished and I can get some of Bob's zoos at the meeting :biggrin:. I sure can't wait to go to aquarium illusions and spend that $100! Although $100 isn't a lot of money when you're buying for a reef tank...