PDA

View Full Version : How to add an anemone safely in a reef tank

Timbits
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Hey guys

I wanna get an anemone probably a bubble tip but I am up for suggestions as long as they are clown hosting anemones. The problem that I have which I'm sure many many others have also ran into this problem is that I'm scared the anemone will start walking which it probably will and kill all my corals. My tank is packed with corals all over the sandbed and sps all over the rocks.

Are there any clown hosting anemones that are less likely to move?
Any tips or tricks? Please share your experiences

Thanks!

Tn23
03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Hey guys

I wanna get an anemone probably a bubble tip but I am up for suggestions as long as they are clown hosting anemones. The problem that I have which I'm sure many many others have also ran into this problem is that I'm scared the anemone will start walking which it probably will and kill all my corals. My tank is packed with corals all over the sandbed and sps all over the rocks.

Are there any clown hosting anemones that are less likely to move?
Any tips or tricks? Please share your experiences

Thanks!

Tim, if you are worried the anemone will move. Try to purchase an anemone which has already been attached to a piece of rock.

Isolate the rock/nem on the sand bed and the nem will not be able to walk/crawl around because it cannot move on the sand. This has worked for me and My RBTA's stay in the center of my tank and have never moved.

That being said, some people have had their Nems detach and fly into a power head but that's another story. Oh and my gf tried the tape a picture to the tank method it didn't work :redface: . We had to put the nem and clowns together in a bucket and once they touched they never stopped hosting again. Good luck bud!

mike31154
03-09-2015, 02:51 AM
If your tank is already packed with coral that you value & don't want killed, don't get an anemone. Even if it does not move, it will most likely grow & as it does, it will end up encroaching on your coral & sting them.

gregzz4
03-09-2015, 03:21 AM
If you do decide on getting a RBTA, I found the best way to get them to attach to my LR is to rest a piece of eggcrate against them overnight so they can't blow around (I bought mine loose).
Once attached, mine (luckily) stayed where I placed them.
I put them front and center-ish and a bit lower. Out of direct powerhead flow, but enough for good flow. Been almost 3 years now.

CM125
03-09-2015, 07:42 PM
In my experience, BTs can still detach from rocks and either kill things or get killed. Even with the best conditions you cant predict their behavior. The safest way is to remove all your coral and put it in with a clown fish, it will settle and once bonded, will rarely move. Then put everything back in. I wouldn't risk it with everything in there.

Animal-Chin
03-09-2015, 08:10 PM
They like their foot in a crack or hole, I placed mine between a shelf rock and a big rock and it hasn't moved because it can retract into safety if it wants.

They move, my condy walked from one end of the tank to the other. Then it settled for a year, then one day, walked again.

jostafew
03-10-2015, 03:36 AM
I thought the idea of isolating an anemone on an island was genius and pushed me over the edge of wanting one but being concerned about its wanderings to feeling confident about finally doing it. That was until the RBTA that I had in my tank for about a month decided to hop over from one piece of LR to the next, separated by about 3-4" of sand bed. One day it was on the island where I placed it, the next it was on the mainland moving around hahaha. Maybe I needed more space between the rockwork islands, but in my 35gal shallow reef that was about the best I could do. Fortunately my tank had very little coral in it at the time and its wanderings had little to no impact. Now that it's settled I will consider stocking around it but will still give some space.

smokinreefer
03-10-2015, 03:54 AM
Not the answer you're looking for, but...
There are no guarantees of a nem not moving.

I have had one/some in my tank for a couple years.

I recently removed one because it began to wander and killed a bunch of ricordeas.

That being said, a nem hosting clowns is a very cool thing.

Coincidently I've got a couple rbtas at the moment that need to be removed soon.

Timbits
03-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Isolate the rock/nem on the sand bed and the nem will not be able to walk/crawl around because it cannot move on the sand. This has worked for me and My RBTA's stay in the center of my tank and have never moved.

Never heard that before... Can they really not walk on sand? That is very interesting I might try it haha

Timbits
03-10-2015, 10:00 AM
Not the answer you're looking for, but...
There are no guarantees of a nem not moving.

I have had one/some in my tank for a couple years.

I recently removed one because it began to wander and killed a bunch of ricordeas.

That being said, a nem hosting clowns is a very cool thing.

Coincidently I've got a couple rbtas at the moment that need to be removed soon.

Any pics?? :mrgreen:

Timbits
03-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I thought the idea of isolating an anemone on an island was genius and pushed me over the edge of wanting one but being concerned about its wanderings to feeling confident about finally doing it. That was until the RBTA that I had in my tank for about a month decided to hop over from one piece of LR to the next, separated by about 3-4" of sand bed. One day it was on the island where I placed it, the next it was on the mainland moving around hahaha. Maybe I needed more space between the rockwork islands, but in my 35gal shallow reef that was about the best I could do. Fortunately my tank had very little coral in it at the time and its wanderings had little to no impact. Now that it's settled I will consider stocking around it but will still give some space.

Man you just never know with anemones eh?? Lol

mike31154
03-10-2015, 01:41 PM

There you go, that statement pretty well sums it up. As mentioned by more than one responder with experience here, there are no guarantees that an anemone won't move at some point. Might take years, might stay put. You rolls the dice, you takes your chances. If you have valuable coral you don't wish harmed, best to forget about a BTA or start another tank that's dedicated to anemones & clownfish.

Also, while many clownfish may make a variety of anemones their home, certain species of each are natural matches in the wild. A little research there will go a long way. For example, the popular BTA is a natural host to Maroon clownfish. I've had a BTA in my tank since a few months after setting up & have a breeding pair of Maroons calling it their home. The original BTA has split numerous times & the clones have a habit of wandering around. The original stayed on roughly the same perch for years, then decided it was time to make a move. Since the latest move, it has done a great job of killing off some nuisance palys/zoas & a Kenya tree coral that was getting quite large. It also did a number on some montipora caps & my hammer coral. I don't mind too much since I can frag off most of these relatively common corals, but I wouldn't be too happy about having some really high priced sps getting stung to oblivion.

With regard to thinking sand is a barrier, forget it. If a BTA doesn't like where it is, it will simply release altogether & go for a swim until it either ends up in a power head or on another piece of rockwork it likes. A change in water chemistry, temperature, water change and any number of other mishaps can be a catalyst for the anemone to decide it's going for a ride.

Aquattro
03-10-2015, 03:15 PM
I tried this once. Lost a few prize SPS and then spent hours removing the nem from a power head. It will move :)

Myka
03-10-2015, 03:22 PM

Yep. I had one in my 90-gallon SPS tank that didn't move off it's rock for about 4 years even though I moved the rock (and it) around at times. It wasn't on an island, it was part of the rockscape, but always stayed in its rock.

Then I moved it to my 50-gallon tank. It stayed on it's rock for about 6 months, then it walked. Freakin thing did laps around my tank for about a month until finally settling and has stayed put now for about 6 months.

intarsiabox
03-11-2015, 01:51 AM
I had RBTA for about six months. It would stay put for about a month and then go into a small power head. I would place the now smaller anemone back into the rocks and the cycle would repeat month after month. After the last time there just wasn't enough of the anemone left and that was the last time I ever put one in my tank. I will admit that it was about the most indestructible coral (I know, some say it's technically not a coral) I have ever seen but it was a PITA.

FrankS
03-11-2015, 08:33 PM
I have a Bubble Tip and placed it into my 65 gallon. It didn't like where I placed it and walked or rather then a huge hop to the other side of the tank landing on the gravel. It decided to shimmy up the side of the glass (back/rear) and then the next time I looked ended up under a rock on the other side of the DT where it has been now for months. My clowns which were tank bred ignore it. When I feed it I have to have a long tube to keep the cleaner shrimp from stealing its food. Fascinating creature!