PDA

View Full Version : help with kamoer dosing pump

lordicon
03-08-2015, 06:14 AM
Hi all i don't post much just read a lot but now i need some help!!!
I want to get my dosing pump up and going and i know how to program it
but my question is on how much my reef tank is using alkalinity!
5 days ago my readings where:
alk 9.7 dkh
cal 425
mag 1320
phos 0
nitrate 0
My tank is 120 gallons total water volume! and now my readings are:
alk 8.4 dkh
cal 450
mag 1320
phos 0
nitrate 0
I use fauna marin balling salts and i can not get my dosing right i have there calculator and says i need to add 0.3 dkh cons/day! now how do i get that to ml so i can program the dosing pump! not sure what to do its going to be easy answer i bet and im going to feel like a dumb dumb

(http://static.faunamarin.de/manuals/manual_balling-methode_eng.pdf)

lordicon
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM
I do keep sps and lps corals! and i have a clam!

lordicon
03-08-2015, 02:00 PM
photo of my tank

daplatapus
03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
How I figured out my usage was to get my numbers where I wanted them. I was using BRS additives for Alk, Ca and Mg, so I went on their site and used their calculator. Once everything was stable, and that took about a week, I stopped all dosing but tested everyday at the same time for a few days. You have to stop dosing and monitor it once you get it right to find out what your tank is using.
Now I new fairly closely what my daily consumption was. I then went back to the BRS calculator, boosted my numbers back where I wanted them and set up my timers and dosing pumps to dose what I needed daily.
It still took a bit of tweaking in the following weeks. Especially with how corals reacted with the stability, and the growth, I had to keep boosting my dosing to keep up.

hondas3000
03-08-2015, 03:25 PM
what test kit did you use? how can you have more calcium and same amount of MG 5 days after? did you add anything during that 5 days? If you are using API test kit then trash it. As for dosing you got to manually add it first then test it every single day to see how much your tank consume. Every tank is different so you got to play around with the amount of dosing and testing a few days or week before you get it right.

lordicon
03-08-2015, 04:13 PM
if your tank uses up alkalinity wont the calcium go up then too? i use hanna tester for phos and Salifert for cal and mag

reefwars
03-08-2015, 06:59 PM
if your tank uses up alkalinity wont the calcium go up then too? i use hanna tester for phos and Salifert for cal and mag

No they are used in a fixed ratio , so your drop in Alk should have had a drop in calcium of about 20ppm , calcium does not raise by adding alkalinity the only way for calcium to rise is to add calcium , so it's either being added somewhere or the test itself is off either from user error or the kits testing noise