PDA

View Full Version : hooded fairy wrasse dying?

gmann
03-04-2015, 02:18 AM
Came home today, and noticed my hooded fairy wrasse was lying on the sand bed looking lifeless. I proceeded to feed the fish thinking he would come up, but no go. An hour later i used a turkey baster n pushed some water his way to see if he was dead or alive, (he would not budge from that spot thank god).

Question is, he was swimming n eating actively yesterday. only changes that happened to my take within the last 3 weeks are:

1.using a subpar powerhead for the last 3 weeks while waiting on my gyre.
2. 20 gallon water change yesterday.

i checked parameters last night and they seemed fine, but i'll check again later.i mysteriously lost my suburst anthias last month, but chalked it up to randomness. if i lose this guy, i dont know what to do.

any idea what is going on?

thanks in advance

gmann
03-04-2015, 04:09 AM
**UPDATE**

it did not make it. Swimming and eating less than 24 hours ago to this. days like this i hate this hobby

Skimmin
03-04-2015, 06:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. There's always ups and downs in this hobby. You just hope the ups always outweigh the downs.

Bblinks
03-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Sorry to hear gmann, it sure hurts to lose a beautiful fish like that. How long have you had the fish for? All my experience with wrasses. I have this 3,3,3, rule that really applies to this types of fish. Once in your tank the first 3 days (50% survive rate) then 3 weeks (80% survive rate) and finally 3 months(almost 100% survive rate), once you pass the 3 months you are pretty much safe unless if it gets injured bad or harassed too harsh by other tank mates. I have seen them go from eating like a pig to losing control over their central nerve system in the matter of a week within the first 3 months period. I believe it has a lot to do with different methods of catching the fish, not all fishes are caught equal.

gmann
03-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the reply bblinks & skimmin

just under 2 months...

tank mates were fine, only fighting going on is between my two cardinals. so far 2/3 fish i bought from that trip are gone. I just pray my loboutei survives.

Bblinks
03-04-2015, 07:22 AM
I would feed the bouti heavy with selcom and garlic extract enriched food to fatten it up and boost its immune system. If you do that, I am sure it will I'll be okay. Careful not to pollute your water. Good luck.

gmann
03-04-2015, 07:25 AM
thanks will do