PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone ?????

Dale D
08-12-2001, 01:45 PM
Hello! Hello! Hello! (echo)

Am I the only one here who also keeps a freshwater tank? images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

OK, it only contains 1 goldfish and the mother of all Java Ferns,but, it is sure alot less work than some other tanks I know of.

I do a water change and gravel cleaning ever month or 2.

I've actually been thinking of switching my 90g to a freshwater planted tank.

That way I can change the 30g fern/ goldfish tank to a poison arrow frog tank. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dale

SuperFudge
08-12-2001, 02:09 PM
People still keep Freshwater?

Kidding Dale,I thought youd have a kickin pond in your yard this summer?

Marc.

Dale D
08-12-2001, 03:09 PM
Marc
I'd love to have a pond in my yard. But with a daycare in the house it's not a good idea.

Beside I wouldn't be able to keep my dogs out of it. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dale

titus
08-12-2001, 03:46 PM
Hello,

I've always wanted to start a fresh water tank. But until I have my own place I'll try not to overtake my parent's house. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

I always thought some of the fresh water planted aquariums are very nice. And certainly less expensive to have one than an all out reef tank.

Titus

Troy F
08-12-2001, 08:55 PM
I thought this forum was to talk about the water we use when adding salt.

Kidding aside, I don't think I ever saw your freshwater tanks Dale. If I had the room I'd love to try a planted tank. Don't they cost just about as much as reef though?

[ 12 August 2001: Message edited by: Troy F ]

Dale D
08-12-2001, 09:59 PM
Troy my "planted tank" is in the kitchen. It only contains a java fern that I have had for about 10 years. It fills up more than 50% of the 30g it is in. Time for a new home.

Planted tanks can be just about as expensive as a reef tank if you go with all the high end equipment that is available. (substrate heating systems, CO2 injection systems, high end lighting, etc) So, there is alot of DIY that can be done on a planted tank as well.

If you already have a co2 system for a calcium reactor on your reef you could branch off a line to inject it into your freshwater tank as well.

You will be saving money by having both types of tanks. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

They run on alot of the same principals as well, (low fish stocking levels,nutrient import and export, use of additives and proper lighing etc) except you are using photosynthetic plants instead of photosynthetic animals.

If you can understand and run a reef tank you should have no problem with a planted tank. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dale

smokinreefer
08-12-2001, 10:20 PM
hey dale,
hows it goin?
y'know what, i just shut down all my freshwater tanks. just not enough time to have so many tanks. i had a 135 full of fern covered rootwood. i've had FO tanks with large fish, fully planted tanks and breeding tanks. but alas, all that will remain is my 135 reef, just as soon as i finish it...this week i hope. so you wont see me in this forum again!

reefburnaby
08-13-2001, 01:24 AM
Your not alone....I've got a 33 gal tank with 4 fancy oranda goldfish. Like Dale's, I have 50% of the tank filled with java ferns. I've had to tank running for about 4 years.

We used to have a lot of other plants in our tank, but my oranda are omnivours -- i.e. eat everything that is edible. My orandas don't like mature java ferns -- which is why it is the only surviving plant. Oranda = plant parrana.

I've got a little reef too, but I like both my tanks. Each tank is special in its own way.

christyf5
08-15-2001, 12:12 PM
Hey there. I have a freshwater african cichlid tank. I've just been devoting most of my time to my new (4months old)SW tank so the FW tank has kind of been shoved to the side. FW tanks are just too easy images/smiles/icon_razz.gif
My FW tank is a 48 gallon. I have about 12 africans in it right now. Just thinned out the ranks as they are starting to get pretty big (3" or so, raised from less than 1"). Too much aggression when you pack them in. They seem to be okay with plants (even though that really isn't their natural home). I supplement their diet with spirulina so that keeps their taste for plants at a minimum (although apparently rosetta must be pretty tasty cuz they mow it down on a regular basis).

Christy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

StirCrazy
10-03-2001, 08:08 AM
I have 3 fresh water tanks going ... 1 planted tank, 1 tank for my angel fish and another for my kids fish.. the salt I am going to be setting up will be my first non fresh tank hehe

StirCrazy