PDA

View Full Version : FRAG SWAP THIEF!!

acepumping
03-01-2015, 05:50 AM
This is pretty bad that I have to post this. But it needs to be brought up..
It was brought to my attention and it just pi$$3|] ME OFF

To whom who thought they can steal a gold hammer and ultra yellow torch frag from the swap. These were floating In the big frag tank, you are never welcome again.. small community means we will find out, your pathetic, you low life!! You have to steal from people who take soo much time into setting this event up. These guys work their butts to host a event that we can truly enjoy. Then we get some idiot that wants to ruin it for the rest..

Hope we find this person or the frags..

I also hope you have your fingers broken!!!

lockrookie
03-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Maybe it was taken by mistake and if returned all is forgiven?

albert_dao
03-01-2015, 05:53 AM
It's pretty ridiculous that this even has to be brought up!

I really hope that this was just a misunderstanding and that some clarity can be brought to the situation....

acepumping
03-01-2015, 05:56 AM
THIS WAS NOT MY TANK!!
THOMAS' S TANK

Bubbles_
03-01-2015, 05:57 AM
+1 on that. super unfortunate to hear. hope things works out.

thanks again to all those who helped organized the meet and greet frag swap

acepumping
03-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Agreed. If you have the bag. Return and let's clear it up please

acepumping
03-01-2015, 06:02 AM
I'm not meaning to be harsh. But seriously!! You know u got 2 extra things from that tank when you got home. If it was wrong doing.. Contact people and make it right!

Then all is forgiven

jhj0112
03-01-2015, 06:03 AM
I really hope it was misunderstanding.. these guys put so much effort into this swap.. they deserve better than this.....

Sharkbait-huhaha
03-01-2015, 06:04 AM
Damn. That's a bummer

Galizio
03-01-2015, 06:06 AM
That's insane, hopefully was just a mistake.... Is bad if you have to steal stuff from people that put so much time in the hobby and provide you with some nice frags close to home..... Feel really bad about this, hopefully was an honest mistake and everything get returned to the owner, or I hope you lose your finger

brittanyk
03-01-2015, 06:07 AM
This is an expensive hobby to be in, we all know this.
This hobby takes a lot of dedication, time and knowledge... BUT thanks to canreef and some of the amazing guys on here, we have a huge support group.

This frag swap (although I couldn't make it :( ) adds a sense of community and support to this forum, both for experts and newbs alike.

Maybe this was a mistake, but for everyone in this forum's sake, and the wonderful guys & gals who go to and organized this swap... Please just make it right.

Thanks to everyone who organized the swap, it's an amazing thing u do, even if some ppl don't appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabreeze
03-01-2015, 06:30 AM
When I arrived at 1230 there were soooooo many people pouring over the frag tanks that I have to believe someone must have taken the bags by mistake... thinking they had THEIR stuff.... RIGHT?????

But then when you got home, you see your corals have morphed... :crazy:

Maybe you didn't have a phone to call and mention your mistake?

Or you had a really long trip home...

Still hoping this was just a simple mistake... after all we all are human and things happen...

But if this is not the case, there is the law of what goes around, comes around... :mad2::nono:

And to those that put so much time and effort in putting this frag swap together, your hard work was much appreciated! Another AWESOME event.. (except for the above mentioned)

crimper
03-01-2015, 06:33 AM
That's a bummer! :surprise:

Return it, you must!

Do the right thing.

F.H
03-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Wow.

I can't even fathom someone would do this on purpose, given the fact that literally EVERY single person I've met in my short time on this forum has turned out to be one amazing person after the other.

I really, really hope this was all a misunderstanding, and that this incident in no way ever puts doubt in the organizers minds to re-think about hosting another one.

lockrookie
03-01-2015, 07:13 AM
Mistakes happen I did a group order once that I accidentally gave the wrong corals to the wrong person. You gave a lot of ppl blood it pumping about your treasures. Ppl get talking distracted little after here. Oops wife's going to kill me I'm Kate getting home. But oooo another interesting topic. No have to grab bags. Bags got shifted grabbed wrong ones. So on and so on.

Before ppl go all lynch mob and accusing wait it out may be acclimating and not realize it right away. If nothing comes of it by the way of a mistake. Then you have to rethink the holding tank idea. Bring your own bucket/ cooler keep it close and trades are done on one on one basis.

Travillion
03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Sucks to hear something like this happened, knowing how tight this community is. It was so jam packed in there that something like this can happen in the blink of an eye.
A couple years ago I volunteer vended at the BC Reptile Expo at my friends table. Beside us was a vender from Alberta selling rare morph snakes. He had one stolen and took nearly a 1500 dollar loss. Hopefully things work out. I got to meet many people for the first time yesterday, including Albert. Class act guy, didn't deserve this.

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I know of a guy that stole fish out of an acclimating bin at the LFS while the manager was helping a customer. This kind of stuff happens all the time!

seabreeze
03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
I know of a guy that stole fish out of an acclimating bin at the LFS while the manager was helping a customer. This kind of stuff happens all the time!

Hope he also stole a bag to put the fish into! ...and opps, water too!!!!!!!!

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 03:20 PM
Hope he also stole a bag to put the fish into! ...and opps, water too!!!!!!!!

small container. Ya, he thought of everything. I know the guy too, has more money than I could ever spend! Sad really

seabreeze
03-01-2015, 03:31 PM
small container. Ya, he thought of everything. I know the guy too, has more money than I could ever spend! Sad really

Hopefully what he did cost him much more than that fish... by banning him from every LFS around!!!!!!!

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Hopefully what he did cost him much more than that fish... by banning him from every LFS around!!!!!!!

No, can't prove it, so what ya gonna do?

RMC
03-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Ok. We're there two extra unclaimed bagged corals at the end of the swap? There should be if it was accidental, if not then it was likely stollen:twised:
It's disheartenning to think their are people in this community who would do this.

To the thief; not cool.. Not cool at all

reefwars
03-01-2015, 03:45 PM

It's a sad fact but it happens , we had cameras installed in the store simply because we knew people were taking things , asking staff to go out back for items they knew weren't out front and then putting things in their pockets , we had an idea who but can't call someone out without proof so now we have film if it were to happen again

When we did the fragfest thing in sept we had a friend of mine (works with law enforcement ) check receipts and bags as People were going out the door , we had around 400 people in and around the store and only 5 employees. It's sad that trust becomes so much of an issue that when you host something that's supposed to be a benefit to the community that a very small few decide to ruin it for everyone , the reason we had someone check the bags was during the previous boxing day sale we were missing a lot of sps frags and smalerr dry goods , so basically people we dipping in and putting frags in there pocket or just grabbing an item and walking out the door.

I'm sure it's 1 in a 100 but sure sucks that you can't host an event without some kind of babysitting or security

Hope you guys get it all sorted out I do also like to think maybe a mistake but my own experiences say it prop was taken as those who watch the stuff are busy chatting and it only takes one bad apple

kamloops_reefer
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
for what could be a mistake - the start of this thread is all but the right way to address it. have some class guys.

best to let time go by, find out who it is and openly share who it was to give other reefers a heads up. To me, that goes a lot farther than this.

best to have other people decide if they want to deal with that person at that time, or else a legitimate thief who knows what they will be jeopardizing will return it, and go along with the story of "oops a mistake was made" and benefit no one.

acepumping
03-01-2015, 03:59 PM
This event happend at the beginning of night. There was a big purchase according to someone I know. Right before he made his.. the guy grabbed his stuff then left quickly. Apparently it was next to impossible for him to mistaken it..thats when they all realized the 2 bags were gone..
but all in all, it was a wicked swap, nothing we can do.. maybe we may just have to have someone standing at the door next time and then you will get a ticket with the amount of corals purchased..
but we dont wanna be like that. This is supppose to be fun a Event

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 04:04 PM
or else a legitimate thief who knows what they will be jeopardizing will return it

Ya, that's probably what will happen :)

acepumping
03-01-2015, 04:05 PM
for what could be a mistake - the start of this thread is all but the right way to address it. have some class guys.

best to let time go by, find out who it is and openly share who it was to give other reefers a heads up. To me, that goes a lot farther than this.

best to have other people decide if they want to deal with that person at that time, or else a legitimate thief who knows what they will be jeopardizing will return it, and go along with the story of "oops a mistake was made" and benefit no one.

You can put the start of the thread on me.. I have no patience for stuff like this... like I said, you would have gone home and realized you have 2 BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS extra pieces..
later that night, I went to the monster trucks with kids and wife.. then I had someone go into.my truck, make a mess and then stole the $4.00 in change and my kids iphone. They left everything else including $50 in gift cards, wife's armani shades etc

so my patience was very short last night

MrLahey
03-01-2015, 04:10 PM
That is such a bummer.

This was my first frag swap and I truely enjoyed myself! I hope they find the corals or the thief and that this experience doesn't stop an cool event from happening again.

This is the first time I also finally decided to dive into sps coral ( thanks for the awesome corals Ryan!)

BubblesUp
03-01-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm sorry to hear this happened. I did notice, though, that the floating bags were spinning around the tank floating to the front and Thomas's colleague was attempting to keep them at the back. Maybe have them clipped to a beam at the back or the back of the tank somehow.

kamloops_reefer
03-01-2015, 04:34 PM
You can put the start of the thread on me.. I have no patience for stuff like this... like I said, you would have gone home and realized you have 2 BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS extra pieces..
later that night, I went to the monster trucks with kids and wife.. then I had someone go into.my truck, make a mess and then stole the $4.00 in change and my kids iphone. They left everything else including $50 in gift cards, wife's armani shades etc

so my patience was very short last night

I was blaming you lol -

that totally sucks, I understand why your short.... and all that stuff ****es me off too! but its more gratifying exposing a theif for what they are with no way for them to back out of doing it, than to call em out - all I'm saying :)

because there are some pretty weird rules on this site, public identifying of the person might not be accepted by Admins. But I do encourage you to send me the person's name and screen name - I already have a "list" of good guys bad guys

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 04:40 PM
because there are some pretty weird rules on this site, public identifying of the person might not be accepted by Admins.

Rules aren't "weird". You can't post the name of someone unless they've been charged and convicted of the crime. Or it gets ugly. FOI is an ugly mess to jump into :)

acepumping
03-01-2015, 04:41 PM
I was blaming you lol -

that totally sucks, I understand why your short.... and all that stuff ****es me off too! but its more gratifying exposing a theif for what they are with no way for them to back out of doing it, than to call em out - all I'm saying :)

because there are some pretty weird rules on this site, public identifying of the person might not be accepted by Admins. But I do encourage you to send me the person's name and screen name - I already have a "list" of good guys bad guys

AGREED.!! either way, THOMAS AND ALBERT When's the next one??????

Lol

neoh
03-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I have a massive security camera system setup at my business. I love finding thieves, especially catching them when they are still in the building. Cops are rarely called.

Theft, though a victimless crime for the most part, has to be one of the lowest forms of criminality, that takes only the lowest people to commit.

I am quite certain the person whom did it is reading this. You'll get yours.

kamloops_reefer
03-01-2015, 04:54 PM
so can reef is worried about liability is what your saying?

I've been on other boards non reef related where names are always used - no legal things come of it, and its of my opinion that especially in the case of bad ethics, I endorse it.

my opinion is obviously different then yours, so yes... it will remain weird to me - because its an opinion. You can back up with what you believe might be the law, and I can back up with what i think is the law (the law is just that...not clearly defined)

just like the dress is blue and black :wink:

so for curiosity sake I'm open ears in the message box in knowing not who the thief is.... but who was the person known accidentally taking two bags of corals they didn't pay for :wink:

Aquattro
03-01-2015, 05:04 PM
so can reef is worried about liability is what your saying?

I've been on other boards non reef related where names are always used - no legal things come of it, and its of my opinion that especially in the case of bad ethics, I endorse it.

my opinion is obviously different then yours, so yes... it will remain weird to me - because its an opinion. You can back up with what you believe might be the law, and I can back up with what i think is the law (the law is just that...not clearly defined)

just like the dress is blue and black :wink:

so for curiosity sake I'm open ears in the message box in knowing not who the thief is.... but who was the person known accidentally taking two bags of corals they didn't pay for :wink:

The point being, neither of us knows the law, the only lawyer I know hates me right now, and in light of that, we, as a board, err on the side of caution.

kamloops_reefer
03-01-2015, 05:51 PM
totally understand

e46er
03-01-2015, 05:56 PM
the only lawyer I know hates me right now,

start breaking the law then so he can make some money off your dumb decisions and finally get that pool!!

On the topic of the original post, I hate thieves what comes around goes around .

daplatapus
03-01-2015, 06:01 PM
I already have a "list" of good guys bad guys

Hmmm, says Dom as he quietly wonders where he lands, lol.

Samw
03-01-2015, 06:27 PM

Was at LFS in Richmond a few years ago. A couple with child was in the store and later we saw the lady later climb down from a ladder in the fish room and walk out of the store ASAP holding her jacket closed. We looked at the tank and saw that the Flowerhorn cichlid was taken. Yes, the staff saw it and actions were taken.

frd72
03-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Too bad.. I attended few years ago and everyone seems to know somebody..
But i guess the saying sometimes is true, on every bunch there will always be a spoiler.. Hope to be there on the next one...

GoFish
03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the missing frags? It might help someone realize their mistake

Sharkbait-huhaha
03-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Does anyone have pictures of the missing frags? It might help someone realize their mistake

Lol, how do you know "your mistake" with frags you didn't purchase. Should be obvious

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2015, 07:18 PM
I left early so it wasn't me:wink:

Here's hoping it was a mistake.

Tn23
03-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Hey guys, Thanks for all the messages/calls and text regarding this issue.

Honestly, it's our own fault(tempting reefers to have their own access to our frags). We need to learn not to trust everyone and not give the canreef community the benefit of the doubt. At the frag swap, we had live rock, lots of expensive equipment from members which want to sell/trade , and tons of items laying around which individuals can easily snatch and walk off with.

As the swap grows and more and more people attend, we need to start putting more precautions and rules in place. Next time, if we do have a swap again.... We will definitely ask for more volunteers to help manage and control the crowd / different sections.
That being said.... there's also Karma, and whoever took the items. I am sure good things will happen to your tank :)

oh and I also forgot to mention there was a Beer Thief going around, I bought another member Seabreeze a beer. We set it down in a safe and secure place totally away from everyone and anywhere someone else we put theirs. Turn around to talk and look back 2 minutes later and it was gone! Like Magic!! :surprise:

input80
03-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Wowwwwwwwwww, beer too ?
That is ridiculous that someone would feel the need to come to an event like this to steal ANYTHING, this is a completely family oriented event. We all are such a trusting community, even letting complete strangers into our homes. I left a country many years ago where one would have to look over their shoulder all the time, do I have to do it here too? I am completely appalled by this action.
Karma is truly going to bite you.................

mkj
03-01-2015, 11:23 PM
sorry to hear some frags went missing, was a great swap. I only stayed an hour, left early because I was worried about my frags just floating around and someone taking them. Was too easy for mistakes to happen.

suggestion: next time have a tendent watching over a large plastic bin with a heater and small power head full of fresh water. For a $1 people can float their bags in bin with their name and number of bags written on bags. Tenent controls the bin and buyer can now enjoy event as long as he likes and tendent makes some money.

When buyer comes back he tells tendent name and how many bags. Tendent gets bags from bin with name and # of bags matching. No way someone would know buyers name and how many bags. Maybe one or the other but odds are low would know both.

I think this could be implemented easy, and tendent of bags will make several hundred dollars in process considering number of bags that were floating over course of event.

Make sure the buyers know that if something does go missing it's not tenents fault though.

jason604
03-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Beer thief too? I loled

F.H
03-01-2015, 11:49 PM
That's a good idea, but I don't think implementing a security system in some way would be too hard to do... The only issue is the fact that now we even NEED one, which I think is such a disappointing fact...

input80
03-01-2015, 11:54 PM
The only issue is the fact that now we even NEED one, which I think is such a disappointing fact...

+1 for sure

mkj
03-02-2015, 12:00 AM
yah, sign of success.

small crowd easy to remember what's, what.

Large crowd, too hard to keep things on track without extra measures.

Bin idea is good though, then people can enjoy swap longer/get to know people without worry. Is why I left earlier than liked. Thought about driving back and just hanging some but I live in NV, little too far for second trip. Plus I probably would have ended up buying more frags from late arrivers :)

Mega
03-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Hey Thomas, I can't believe someone will actually snatch your beer! I shall buy you and Albert some beer again next time and play some drunken badminton. This is so lame. I will volunteer to look after your beer next time. :lol: Anyway, it's really sad to hear these kind of things is happening at the swap meet. Perhaps this time we were missing the camera man! :razz: We can keep a camera running next time and have a door check. This should keep these kinda things from happening.

rishu_pepper
03-02-2015, 12:13 AM
Thomas, don't blame yourself for the thievery. Let's blame the jerk who took it. :twised:

But in all seriousness, I hope this was a once in a blue moon issue and it doesn't happen again. Joanne and I had a great time at the meet, buying nice frags and meeting good people. We are looking forward to the next one already. Many thanks to people like you, Albert, Tyler, and the rest of the gang to set all this up. And special thanks to the Mezz for letting us use the venue once again.

riceboy
03-02-2015, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear about this. Really brings the atmosphere down. It's karma what comes around goes around.

rsisvixen
03-02-2015, 12:43 AM
I'm a bird breeder so we have bird marts twice a year, and the same thing happened there, someone was talking to a customer and when they turned around a bird was stolen.
Since then we have instituted a coloured sticker system-every birdmart gets a new colour-all sellers get these stickers and once you sell a bird you place the sticker on the cage/container. Someone at the door checks that the bird does have the sticker before being allowed out.

acepumping
03-02-2015, 12:57 AM
I agree.. I think we will organize that that we will do a storage be bin or tank with heater.. names and numbers put on.
There will be marked bags.. who's coral and how many..
There's ways to fix this.. but we want to keep it a friendly community..

I'll help thomas and albert figure this out.. guarantee it won't happen next time

lockrookie
03-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Painted bread bag clips attached to each bag. Just have ppl save them and give them to you 10 of each color kinda thing for each person

hillegom
03-02-2015, 01:19 AM
Sad to hear this , one bad apple in the barrel.
As others have said karma gets around

H2o2
03-02-2015, 05:24 AM
As with all things locks are for honest people sad that some one from a little community would take something they know is not theirs and it was my first time and what a great time, maybe set up a donation box some where to help off set their loss

gobytron
04-02-2015, 09:59 PM
sucks the most for the good people who put it together.

sounds like a very successful event for everyone, even if there were a few who tried to spoil it.

Cujo#31
04-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Wholy chit!!! Ive been out of the loop for a while. Just bloody disgusting.

1986CJ7
04-08-2015, 11:47 PM
That's messed up. If it was a mistake it would have come up until now.