PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Settings for Blue Light

Travillion
03-01-2015, 02:55 AM
Hey all,
Just hoping someone can chime in on what settings they go with on their DSLR's when shooting under blue LEDs, like moonlighting. I'm having a hard time picking up any colour besides blue, can't even get anything from the fluorescent zoanthids. I'm shooting with a Nikon D3200, 18-55mm and 50mm 1.8. I am quite knowledgable with settings so feel free to throw anything at me.
Cheers!

TimT
03-01-2015, 03:11 AM
I shoot using a dslr as well. What I do is use a white card under the lighting and then set a custom white balance.

Travillion
03-01-2015, 03:30 AM
Perfect, thank you Tim. I think I was just a little confused with Nikon's terminology. To customize their white balance it is labeled as "PRE" in the quick settings bar.
Once again,
Thanks for your help!

Travillion
03-03-2015, 01:45 AM
I shoot using a dslr as well. What I do is use a white card under the lighting and then set a custom white balance.

Hey Tim,
When you use the white card under the blue lighting, do you not get a disrupting shimmer effect in the water? Could I take a picture of the card out of the water with the same lights on it and still get quality photos in the tank?

TimT
03-03-2015, 03:04 AM
I didn't get a shimmer because I turned off all the pumps so there was no surface agitation.

It would depend on the colour of lights you use and the depth of the tank.

I used a Xyrite Colour Checker and shot down on it. The one I got is water proof. It was in about 6" of water off to the side of a 400 watt Radium. Make sure your exposure is correct as it will effect the colour of the shot. Fill the frame with the target.

Aquattro
03-03-2015, 03:08 AM
I just shoot raw and set WB to 20k in photoshop, sets color perfectly.

TimT
03-03-2015, 03:19 AM
I heard they use Photoshop for shooting people in the raw. ;)

Peaches0013
04-12-2015, 06:55 PM
I shoot with a D600, 18-300.
Turn off any pumps unless you have a peek a boo.
Tri pod, and shoot in raw.
You can adjust the blue hue in Photoshop later on.
Happy shooting :)