PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead Placement help

Travillion
02-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Hey all,
I've been running a 28G Cube for the past couple of months and while everything is doing well, I feel that the powerhead could be in a better placement. The output from the overflow is on the top left side. The LR is built upwards in a pyramid shape nearly centred. Right now I have my powerhead in the top left front, pointing upwards to create surface agitation. My thoughts are this, if I angle my output from the overflow upwards for surface agitation, where should my powerhead placement go?
I will attach a picture shortly for a better idea.

Dearth
02-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Personally I would put the powerhead in the bottom third of the tank and angle the powerhead up towards the surface so you get surface agitation and tank flow

Travillion
03-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Thank you for your suggestions Dearth. Would this be pointed upwards back to front, or upwards front to back? And should I place it on the opposite side of the tanks built in output nozzle?

Skimmin
03-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I would have to agree. I had a biocube. If i remember correctly when facing it the output is on the right so point it upward straight ahead and the same with the powerhead on the other side of the overflow. Just place the powerhead lower. That should give you some good stirring in the tank.

Fishfriend
03-02-2015, 01:42 AM
Do you have sand in the tank?

If no, buy a WP-40 and place anywhere in the tank. Point it at the bottom of the tank. It will provide the surface movement that you are looking for. Make sure that the rock structure can handle the amount of flow. I used zip ties for my rock work.

If thats not an option place it in the bottom third of the tank and point up at the top of the tank, not strait up. I would do the opposite of the return.

Dearth
03-02-2015, 09:43 AM
as others have said place if possible opposite of any return flow into the tank with a small space like you have you wont have to worry much about too much dead space with an adequately sized powerhead it will aerate the full tank as long as there isn't an obstruction like rock on the glass

Experiment find the best option for your tank you might be surprised where the best flow might be

Travillion
03-02-2015, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
I have a JBJ wave maker duo controller sitting in the cabinet. Would it be beneficial if I hooked up my circulation pump to that and set it for an X-time on/off schedule?