PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Bracing

mr_alberta
09-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to Euro Brace my upcoming tank and was wondering what thickness of glass I should use and if the glass needs to be tempered or not?

The tank itself isn't very big...45"Lx19"Wx30"H or so. How thick and wide should the euro brace pieces of glass be? Thanks!

Vagabond
09-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I had my tank built with eurobracing by Mitch down at IA.

My tank is 62 gal: 40"L x 18"W x 20"H.

Mitch used all 10mm glass for the bracing. The front and rear bracing are 3" wide and the side braces are 2"wide. This is probably overkill.

I love the EB and in hindsight the only thing I would have changed is to have had them make the side brace narrower on the corner over flow side of the tank. Access into the overflow is really tight the way it is now. I called Mitch on this and he said I could actually remove it on that side with no structural effect. He said on a tank that small the side braces merely keep everything flush for the finish moulding.

HTH

Bryan
09-19-2004, 06:36 AM
Ditto for mine. Built by IA 60 x 20 x 24H and the bracing is 1/2" thick. Same bracing dimensions as Vagabond.

StirCrazy
09-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to Euro Brace my upcoming tank and was wondering what thickness of glass I should use and if the glass needs to be tempered or not?

The tank itself isn't very big...45"Lx19"Wx30"H or so. How thick and wide should the euro brace pieces of glass be? Thanks!

1/2" thick and about 2.5 to 3" wide would be my guess.

Steve

Jaws
09-19-2004, 04:08 PM
This is probably a really lame question but can someone describe to me the advantages of eurobracing?

StirCrazy
09-19-2004, 04:29 PM
This is probably a really lame question but can someone describe to me the advantages of eurobracing?

no hunk of glass accross the middle of your tank to get in the way or to block light.

Steve