PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

daplatapus
02-26-2015, 02:11 PM
Ok, so I have a Vertex IN-250 that I've been having issues with. If power is interrupted the pump won't restart on it's own. After pulling it all apart I realized the back end of the pinwheel shaft is swollen and it's probably having a hard time getting going again.
Well it turns out the LFS I bought it from (maybe a year ago, less than 2 for sure) neglected to tell me that this particular model had been discontinued and I can no longer get parts for it. I guess getting old stock off his shelf was more important. Anyway....

I need to replace the pump on it. I've been told by the Vertex rep that either the Bubble Blaster 2000 or 3000 will fit on it or the Sedra 5000. There might be some minor mods depending on who you talk to. I was also looking at the Reef Octopus RODC3500 thinking if the pump is a bit big, I can dial it down. I've read on RC guys with pumps a bit big were fighting micro bubbles and overflowing skimmers.

So, anyone have any experience with any of the above pumps or similar skimmers?

Aquattro
02-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Sedra pumps, IME, go through impellers fairly quick. Every other year. And tough to find these days.

mark
02-26-2015, 03:11 PM
My ASM G3 skimmer's Sedra 5000 jump failed after 9+ years of continuous duty. Never had any problems with it, always restarted on it's own, original impeller. Was considering a new skimmer, fancy DC replacement pump but then decided go with what I know.

New one was at my door a few days after ordering fr Reef Supplies.

Aquattro
02-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Mark, did you clean your often? I didn't, which might have been the issue. But with about 10 years on the pumps, I went through roughly 4 or 5 impellers each. (ran 2 3500 pumps on my ER)

christyf5
02-26-2015, 03:26 PM
so this might not be the best option when its more fun to buy a new pump but the pump on my ER250 would go through an impeller a year, they were sedras even though the pump was a gx6000. I would buy the sedra 9000 impeller, yard off the regular impeller and put the needlewheel from the old impeller on. Worked like a charm until this year when I don't know what the hell happened. The pump is dead now though so that could be part of the problem. Anyway, might be worth a try? J&L sells the sedra 5000 impeller.

My brain almost exploded trying to fit a new pump to my ER (bubble blaster, sicce arrgh which one? how much diy to do?) so I just bought a new one from reefdynamics, it just seemed....easier somehow :razz:

mark
02-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Mark, did you clean your often? I didn't, which might have been the issue. But with about 10 years on the pumps, I went through roughly 4 or 5 impellers each. (ran 2 3500 pumps on my ER)

Only cleaning was maybe annually brushing off the slime from impeller and inside body where impeller sits. Nothing major like soaking. There was slight swelling of the impeller but not enough to cause any binding. Stopped working due open continuity to stator windings.

btw Reef Supplies also carries needle wheel impellers for the 5000.