PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Hobby

Granny
02-25-2015, 07:30 PM
I have been on a 10 year sabbatical break from reefing due to house space and work Commitments. This year we decided to build a new home and my wife asked me if I wanted to design a spot for a tank on the main floor. What we are planning is space on the main floor for a 125 Gallon Display Tank, the sump and everything else will be down stairs in the furnace room. We expanded the size of the furnace room to accommodate a place for a fish room for me.
After Reading and researching on the forum and youtube I have come up with the following basic build.

1. Drill the main tank for a Herbie Overflow System.
Return will be 1 inch
Two Drains for the Herbie will be 1.5 Inch each.

2. I am going to have to deal with 14-16 feet of head pressure and about a 25 foot horizontal run for the plumbing, so the plan is to use a Reeflow, or Iwaki Pump for the return.

I have read thru some of the tank journals and seen some of you have already completed this type of Build. Would any of you reefers that have this type of two floor system please give me any pointers on any problems you think I might be creating for myself. I would rather build if right the first time. We started framing the new house today so I will need the ruff in pluming confirmed within the next month. Thanks for your help.

sphelps
02-25-2015, 07:43 PM
I'd run 1.5" for the return as well, even if you're reducing it to 1" at the tank. A 1" line that long will add a significant amount of head pressure from friction alone.

jason604
02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Oh man this will b awesome. My goal one day to build a house around a tank. If I were u I would go bigger. Since UR still in the design phase go for a huge tank it will be worth it and u won't ever be urged to upgrade. Make sure u make a tank journal n document each step of the way I would rly like to see how it all plays out. But yea I would also suggest a 1.5 on the return line as well. A return distant that far will have problems with a smaller piping

Reef Pilot
02-25-2015, 07:56 PM
I have a basement sump that drives two tanks, one upstairs in the kitchen and another across a wall in the basement. I use a single Sedra KSP 20000 pump (surprisingly high pressure with 22' head) to return to both tanks. You can also get a Sedra KSP 30000 which is even more powerful. With T manifolds the Sedra also drives my chiller, bio pellet reactor and carbon/gfo reactors. I have simple pvc ball valves to adjust the various flows. More than adequate flow for everything. The only other pump in my sump is for the skimmer. Very simple set up, but very effective. And not too expensive.

I also have the upstairs tank in the kitchen, which is a little different. But it has worked out very well.

Have a look at my journal link below.

Granny
02-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the comments

daplatapus
02-26-2015, 02:13 AM
I'm running a basement sump with 14'' of head and about the same horizontally feeding 2 tanks, a 77 and a 20. Right now I'm running a Reefflo Barracuda and its plenty of flow for those tanks. My only complaint is the vibration humming through the floor. I've got spa flex isolating it from the hard PVC piping and its sitting on a 6" block of foam. Every place the piping is touching a floor joist I have a piece of 1/2" pipe insulation, but it's still there.
My 210 upgrade is coming up... I bought 2 Waveline DC12000's to feed it. I've got other DC pumps, Waveline and Jabeo and they are super quiet. As time has progressed it appears there are reliability issues with them. I've got all new controllers for them so I'm trying to stay optimistic that they'll work. But I have drill a 2" bulkhead into my new sump and plugged it if I have to go back to a Reefflo external pump.
For my 210 build I've gone to 2 - 1" main drains both with gate valves at the sump. It's apperantly much harder to control if the gate valves are located upstairs.
Then I've run a 1 1/2" emergency drain and 2 - 1 1/4" returns. Each of my returns run across the length of my tank, 1 across the front, one across the back. They each have 3 - 3/4" loc-lines coming off them. After the first 3/4" line comes off the 1 1/4" I reduced to 1", then after the second came off, I reduced to the last 3/4".
I may still install the loc-line valves to balance each of those further if I need to.
Ask away if something there isn't clear.

Granny
02-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Thank for the info Dap.

I did some quick research on DC pumps and found the Deepwater Brand.

Anyone try the Deepwater BLDC Pump Series Yet????