PDA

View Full Version : SPS you regret mounting to close to other SPS

Werbo
02-25-2015, 04:40 AM
Really beginning to regret where I mounted my ORA red planet. The encrusting base of the red planet can overgrow any coral in its path. I am now constantly scraping the base to keep a barrier between it and the SPS corals around it. I love the RP but my next tank will have a solitary rock dedicated for my RP. Had to do the same with my sunset monti and meteor shower too.

Just to be clear I am not talking about shade caused by growth like with caps. Anybody else have this problem with other SPS corals that will encrust over anything and everything in its path?

Slyguy00
02-25-2015, 01:31 PM
I have the same problem, however I just let them do there thing as long as it isn't threatening the life of either coral. They usually figure it out. I have some sps that have fused together and only kill eachother at the contact point. Plus it looks pretty cool

Werbo
02-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Ya it usually isn't a problem with the exception of the RP. The RP is killing everything it touches including other milli's.

Werbo
02-25-2015, 05:14 PM
Anybody experience this with other SPS where they wish they mounted the coral on its own rock?

Aquattro
02-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Anybody experience this with other SPS where they wish they mounted the coral on its own rock?

Nope. They've always sorted it out on their own.

jason604
02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Yea sps normally is fine for me but when my LPS touches my sps its GG. Los kills Sps rly fast in my experience.

kien
02-26-2015, 01:08 AM
Yes my red planet is also up there on that list but higher up on the regrets totem pole would be every encrusting monti, ever. Now that I think about, pretty much ALL of my montis (confusa, spongodes, capitata, digitata) are agressive growers and need the most pruning (aka crowd control). #firstWorldReefingProblems.

Slyguy00
02-26-2015, 01:23 AM
#firstWorldReefingProblems.

Hahah awesome:lol:

Werbo
02-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Yes my red planet is also up there on that list but higher up on the regrets totem pole would be every encrusting monti, ever. Now that I think about, pretty much ALL of my montis (confusa, spongodes, capitata, digitata) are agressive growers and need the most pruning (aka crowd control). #firstWorldReefingProblems.

Probably cause we are both still rocking MH lights. But ya... All my encrusting months are isolated

Reef Pilot
02-26-2015, 02:49 PM
My biggest problem is not SPS wars (I do have those, too, incl RP and Sunset Monti), but I do really regret not getting rid of all mushrooms and palys in my SPS tank. Now that they have spread, no way to get rid of them without completely redoing all my rock and SPS.

They are the true devil corals, and IMO even worse than aiptasia (which I have been able to control naturally) and some other pests. They don't like strong light up high, but sure like to take over the lower reaches, and crowd out some of my lower light level SPS.