PDA

View Full Version : ? blue linckia stars

cag
09-18-2004, 05:48 AM
Does anybody know if the blue linckia starts release any toxins or such evil into the water when they die. :confused: I picked one up a couple weeks ago at a LFS and took two hours to accilate it. It crawled around to the back of my reef, into a fissure, and died. I couldn't get the thing out. I have checked everything I can test for and the system seems fine, but some of my coral is off, and four fish keep getting just a bit of ick. My bright green candy cane seems to be shrinking back on its skeleton, and one frogspawn is also looking small and pale. Yet the other frogspawn looks great. The toadstools, zoo's, and leather look fine, but the sps are pale. mushrooms and various star polyps all fine. The only thing that I can see that changed was that blasted star. Do I need to do a series of small water changes a day or two apart to flush something untestable from the system? Of just ride out whatever is up. Any ideas. :question:

Delphinus
09-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Wouldn't guess toxins, but if the carcasse was left to decompose it would probably spike your system a bit. Depends on the age and size and bioload of your system how big of a spike that will be. A water change or two couldn't hurt.

andestang
09-18-2004, 03:10 PM
To bad :sad: As Tony says do some water changes. How big was the star? They take a few days to decompose. Blues are very sensative, the most out of the Linkias. Maybe a slower acclimatizing would of helped. Also seen some LFS around town with decomposing stars :confused: Good luck