PDA

View Full Version : Water movement

Metrontech
02-23-2015, 07:03 PM
hey guys/gals thanks for all the help so far, it's been a good curve

So I have 2 - 660 gph pumps returning to my tank and 4 overflows (2 higher up in case of blockage)

I have a 1150 and a 600 power heads

I find that my tank has collections in the sand that I just can't seem to get water movement to

What is the best water movement practices?

How do you know if you have enough water movement?

Any suggestions?

Skimmin
02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
What size and shape is your tank? Where is the overflow/overflows located?

Metrontech
02-23-2015, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I guess that is good info to give ;)

55 gal display (48 x 13d x 21h)
30 gal sump

Overflows are to the far left and returns are to the far right

I can take some photos

The circulation is good, by that I mean with the pumps running full, and the overflows wide open it works flawlessly

Thanks

Mike

Craigdillman
02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
You really just wana make it so there is random flow throught the tank with your rock work and no dead zones, try to achieve this with powerheads cause your return pump isn't suppoed to be used for flow rather should be a slower flow giving time to your sump and skimmer and filtration "time" to work rather than it zipping threw cause your using it as a flow

The vortex or Maxspec Gyre are good and proably one of those would do your whole tank with a wave or Gure type flow and be perfect for if "when" you upgrade

Also the jebao knock off vortexs work really well and a pair of the smaller ones are pretty cheap and you can make a good wave or back and forth pattern with them

Or install the pumps your have see what you need all depend on your rock work and coral your keeping

sdeschutter
02-23-2015, 11:45 PM
I bought one of those max spect gyre units and it works great. I strong suggest that and get rid of all other power heads. Just Youtube gyre and you will see.