PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount actinic with halide?

Canadian Man
10-05-2002, 11:14 PM
So with my new hood I am making for my 90g tank my 2 x 250 w Iwasaki's will be mounted about 8 to 10" off the water surface with an optimal (Perpindicular ) reflectors.

so I want to mount 4 t8 actinic bulbs in the hood and I origionally wanted 1" off the water surface with 2 mounted at the extreme front and 2 at the rear .

What does everyone think?
Should I mount them higher?
If I do I couldnt see much benefit except that it may block less light cause there are closer to the light source and not blocking as much light spread.

Thanks for your feed back. smile.gif

Mak
10-06-2002, 12:57 AM
Sounds good to me but I would probably mount the Saki's 6"-8" off the waters surface.

[ 05 October 2002, 21:05: Message edited by: MAK ]

Canadian Man
10-06-2002, 05:31 AM
Mak,
It's not set in stone yet so I will for sure take that into consideration. This whole height thing is confusing if I let it get that way I suppose.

Any others?

spikehs
10-06-2002, 09:30 PM
my reflectors are about 10inches off the surface, so i guess the bulbs would be about 12inches...I guess the higher you go the better the spread but less intensity. My actinics are about 8inches off the surface. When i was reaserching how high to put my halides, the general consensus i found was about 8-12inches.

Troy F
10-07-2002, 03:27 PM
I'd just mount them at the same height as your MH. They won't shadow your primary lighting this way. Also, depending on how you designed your hood, they won't get in the way when you have to put your hands in.