PDA

View Full Version : How long to Quarantine corals for?

Gools
09-18-2004, 01:52 AM
I just wanted to know how long they have to be in there for. I haved checked them for red bugs with a magnifying glass and they seem to be clean.

Seamonkey
09-18-2004, 02:58 AM
I've never quarantined corals before. Guess I'm lucky but have never had any unwanted bugs or parasites. (that i know of...) I will often quarantined fish though, cause Iv'e had problems with ich, especially the larger fish like Tangs and Angels. :biggrin:

Aquattro
09-18-2004, 04:04 AM
A good visual inspection will often suffice, depending on the type of coral in question. Some people dip in lugol's iodine for a few minutes, Wendell recommends epsom salts as a dip. Check for bugs, flatworms, nudibranchs, etc with a magnifying glass. If it looks clean, it probably is.
The problem with a Q tank for corals is duplicating the lighting and water quality required for any length of time.

trilinearmipmap
09-18-2004, 04:10 AM
What about coral acclimation?

I thought corals and other invertebrates were more delicate than fish and required slower acclimation.

Then I read a thread where no one was acclimating their corals.

BTW so far I have been doing Flatworm Exit dips on any new corals, it seems like pretty cheap insurance.

Aquattro
09-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Then I read a thread where no one was acclimating their corals.

I almost did once, but I didn't. I recommend it, since it can't do any harm. However, I've transported large acro colonies across town with no water and dumped them in strange tanks 20 minutes later with no acclimation. They were fine. But I tell people to acclimate them anyway, because it's probalbly smart to do. :biggrin:

Gools
09-19-2004, 12:23 AM
I'd like to here more about this epsom salt idea. What does it do and how do you do it?

StirCrazy
09-19-2004, 02:09 AM
I simpaly give them a rince in fresh RO water and then strait into the tank.

Steve

EmilyB
09-19-2004, 02:47 AM
I just put them in. I did lugol those frags from BC when Brad put out the bug scare tho.... :mrgreen: