PDA

View Full Version : Multiple clownfish pairs in a single tank?

rishu_pepper
02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
As I'm setting up a new tank (8', 165g), I am starting to think of my stocking list. I'm wondering if it is possible to keep more than a pair of clownfish in the tank.

Currently my Onyx clown pair (thanks Myka, they're doing well) are happily living in the big dinner plate sebae anemone. I plan to get some sort of carpet anemone or RBTA and would love to have other clowns hosting in there. Will it be okay to have multiple pairs or will they be aggressive towards each other? We're very attached to the Onyx's, but wondering if in a larger tank like this it will be okay for them to stick to their own territories/anemones.

gobytron
02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
it's doable in an 8ft tank but no guarantee

There is plenty of information about the average size of a mated pair of clowns territory online...

You have good sized tank for it, make sure to keep this in your mind while you are aquascaping.

Having ideal areas for a clown to host something that is out of the sight line of your other pair should go a long way in minimizing aggression.

That being said, it's a risk and one that has not worked out for many hobbyists.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2002709

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-20-2015, 04:40 PM
Carpet anemones are/can be fish-eaters. I have a friend who lost 15+ fish to his blue carpet, including a powder blue tang.

rishu_pepper
02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Woop. Never mind then... I'll stick with BTAs.

Do your clowns ever fight with each other in your tanks, Anthony?

gobytron
02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Carpet anemones are/can be fish-eaters. I have a friend who lost 15+ fish to his blue carpet, including a powder blue tang.

you probably also have friends who have had them and never lost one fish...

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-20-2015, 04:49 PM
you probably also have friends who have had them and never lost one fish...

Nope, not many people I know who keep carpets. They can come in beautiful colours but I know the reefers I know who've kept them got rid of theirs after losing fish to their sticky tentacles.

There may be a species of carpet that is fish-safe but I'm not risking it.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/carpet-anemones-beautiful-but-deadly

Here's a link to an article on this same topic.

I'll stick with my RBTAs.

And Rishu, I've successfully kept multiple pairs, but I've also had all out wars and had to catch out the losing pairs. Very hit-or-miss when it comes to how well clownfish pairs will tolerate another pair.

Think of clownfish as a the cichlids of the ocean:wink:

gobytron
02-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Did you read into that article where it states that one of the best ways to ensure no fish loss when keeping them is to ensure they have a pair of clowns hosting it to chase any potential victims away?
It does also state that the article writer has heard of clownfish being victims themselves...though no personal experience with it.

I bought a tank, years ago, that came with a MASSIVE blue carpet anemone, 2 clownfish and a number of random damsels.

I added a few once I had it set up at my place and had the carpet for about 6 months before selling it.

Never lost a single fish.

George
02-20-2015, 05:23 PM
It could work if you can keep 2 groups far away, on opposite ends of the tank. From my observation, clown fish never venture far away from their hosts.
Of course anemone can walk so no guarantee that 2 groups won't meet.
My other observation is that clown fish seem to be able to keep the anemone stationary. I have seen my clown fish some time pushing the column of my anemone using their nose. It looks like the clown fish is trying to stop anemone from moving.
Good luck.

FishingGoalie
02-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I have 3 clownfish in my tank, 2 black and white and one normal orange one. I had 2 orange but one jumped out attempted adding another orange clown in but he got pumbled so i gave him to my uncle. He is happy there. also tried adding 2 black ice but they were to small and other fish picked on him but not the clowns. Until the clownfish jumped out they were all happy and didnt care at all about eachother. They lived in the same BTA and didnt care. As soo as the little orange clown was gone the Big BLack and white and the Big normal clown paired up and kicked the small black and white clown out.(now lives in another anenome alone on other side of tank.