PDA

View Full Version : Bite from something in tank

batmanrob
02-19-2015, 03:03 AM
moving my whole setup. Putting in the last piece of live rock. Feel this prick on my hand. Pull hand out. Small little prick, looks to be a short whitish hair. I pull it out.
Half an hour later still feel a lot of pain. Bruising about size of a half a dime. Finger is all swollen up. Burning pain.

So any idea what it could be?
The rock might of had a Bristol starfish under it. Hard to say now.

Other than that my tank has blue tang, yellow tang and lawnmower blenny.

Coral Hoarder
02-19-2015, 03:05 AM
brisle or fire worm if theres little white hairs

batmanrob
02-19-2015, 03:09 AM
yeah must be it. Thanks.

Madreefer
02-19-2015, 04:21 AM
Soak your finger in vinegar. It melts the slivers

Dearth
02-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Soak your finger in vinegar. It melts the slivers

what he said

Myka
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM
I've not found bristleworms to hurt very much. I've had my fingers covered in the "hairs". They are irritating, but not more than any other little sliver. A Radiant Urchin though? That's a whole different ball game. That hurts like a mofo! Worse than Volitans Lionfish.

Dearth
02-19-2015, 02:42 PM
I've not found bristleworms to hurt very much. I've had my fingers covered in the "hairs". They are irritating, but not more than any other little sliver. A Radiant Urchin though? That's a whole different ball game. That hurts like a mofo! Worse than Volitans Lionfish.

Like anything in nature stings and toxins affect everyone differently so while most will have little effect on us per se it is highly recommended to wear latex or rubber gloves while digging around in your tank to prevent those stings and bites

CM125
02-19-2015, 02:43 PM
People seem to have different reactions to things. I know I got hit by my urchin and thought I was gonna lose a finger lol, swelled up and hurt bad. I could see a bristle worm doing that if your sensitive.