PDA

View Full Version : Chloramine article on Reef Builders

Myka
02-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Check out this article on Reef Builders and the video BRS made. It's kinda funny their findings pretty much negate the use of their catalytic carbon blocks. I'm glad they found something more useful, but it's a shame BRS developed it themselves so that's the only place it's available.

Aquarists with “mystery” problems in their tanks who also have tanks that require lots of water to make up for evaporation will definitely want to take note of BRS’s findings to determine whether the dreaded chloramine could be a cause of their issues. Before you go all kamikaze on removing chloramine from your tap water, perhaps the first course of action would be to test your supply water and purified water for chloramines to determine if you have to deal with it in the first place, with LaMotte’s insta-test series being so easy and simple to use that you have no excuse not to.

For those of us using RO/DI filters, the chloramines are dealt with one way or another (partly by carbon blocks, partly by DI resin), but for those using RO only or sediment and carbon only, chloramines could definitely be a concern and might be the insight for tank issues.

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/02/17/bulk-reef-supply-demonstrates-toxic-chloramine-water-filters/

gobytron
02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
Interesting...

http://nutristart.com/does-your-water-contain-chloramine/

Bblinks
02-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Metro Vancouver uses mostly ozone and uv to treat our drinking water. I like to think our water is safe here on the coast but I guess its always good to do a quick test. Thanks for the info.

Myka
02-19-2015, 12:20 AM
Saskatoon uses chloramine, so it's something I've been trying to learn as much about as possible for the last couple years.

The Codfather
02-19-2015, 12:43 AM
Total chlorine is the measurement of all active chlorine species, including free and bound chlorine (chloramine). The amount of chloramine is calculated by subtracting free chlorine from the total chlorine.
Both of these two tests, total chlorine and free chlorine are easy to test for, we test this regularly in edmonton city water. It takes about 10 minutes to conduct both tests.
Hach makes tests packages for both using a colorimeter.

Bblinks
02-19-2015, 02:10 AM
Total chlorine is the measurement of all active chlorine species, including free and bound chlorine (chloramine). The amount of chloramine is calculated by subtracting free chlorine from the total chlorine.
Both of these two tests, total chlorine and free chlorine are easy to test for, we test this regularly in edmonton city water. It takes about 10 minutes to conduct both tests.

What do you usually get from your tap?

Myka
02-19-2015, 02:24 AM

I have been using pool strips that have free chlorine and total chlorine. They only go down to 0.5 ppm. I haven't see anything on them anytime I've tested. I'm going to try out something else.

The Codfather
02-19-2015, 03:37 AM
What do you usually get from your tap?

We are getting new colorimeters in the next couple weeks, Ill test and post the results. We have in the past had 0.2 at times, Im sure that the levels are higher in the spring because of the run off and the extra treatment that is put in. When the new ones come in Ill post the results.

Bblinks
02-19-2015, 06:06 AM
We are getting new colorimeters in the next couple weeks, Ill test and post the results. We have in the past had 0.2 at times, Im sure that the levels are higher in the spring because of the run off and the extra treatment that is put in. When the new ones come in Ill post the results.

cool thanks dude, looking forward to those results.