PDA

View Full Version : What's the fastest way to cycle a tank

arnald
02-17-2015, 04:05 AM
Just set up a 95g but all the rocks that I put in there were live rock but it's been out for 7 weeks so pretty much it's dead now. So any ideas how to speed up the process would be appreciated. Thanks

acepumping
02-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Lol pretty much dead? If out of water for 7 weeks. They toast!!
Cook the rock and re cure it. If not, I can almost.guarantee that rock to leech 8-12 months later..

IMO

Coral Hoarder
02-17-2015, 04:59 AM
Acid or bleach bath or both would be best then it shouldn't take as long I'm going thru the same proses as of right now

Btw this is the selling trading fourm

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 05:03 AM
moved

reef-keeper
02-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Use Dr. Tim's one and only Nitrifying Bacteria. This stuff works great.

Craigdillman
02-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Yea Google some curing rock posts

If it were me I'd do a vinegar or acid bath then rinse and into a saltwater bath for a few weeks cure the rock in there it will go through all the "cycle " and algea blooms in the container then after a few weeks put that rock in the main and you'll still have a cycle but much quicker and most of die off and phosphates leech will be in the bucket or tub you used

There is no quick cycle it always takes the same time

arnald
02-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Ok so first off thanks for all the advise guys but I'm just wondering this cause last tank that I set up was a 40g with 25g sump and I got all the rocks from my friend that had it sitting in the backyard for over 2 years. He said put it in your tank and add livestock after 3 weeks. That's exactly what I did and nothing died. I had that set up for just over a year. Is trying to do all this extra stuff really necessary or did I just get lucky somehow. I'm kind of lost. I already put all the rocks in amd tank has been running for a week now. I was planning on doing water changes foe the next 3 weeks and check the ammonia levels before I add fish

saltdog
02-17-2015, 06:11 PM
Use Dr. Tim's one and only Nitrifying Bacteria. This stuff works great.

+1

arnald
02-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Where do I get that from?

jason604
02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Ok so first off thanks for all the advise guys but I'm just wondering this cause last tank that I set up was a 40g with 25g sump and I got all the rocks from my friend that had it sitting in the backyard for over 2 years. He said put it in your tank and add livestock after 3 weeks. That's exactly what I did and nothing died. I had that set up for just over a year. Is trying to do all this extra stuff really necessary or did I just get lucky somehow. I'm kind of lost. I already put all the rocks in amd tank has been running for a week now. I was planning on doing water changes foe the next 3 weeks and check the ammonia levels before I add fish

Ur a miracle worker

saltdog
02-17-2015, 08:58 PM
Where do I get that from?

Here's a video http://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI

You can get it here http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/

arnald
02-17-2015, 11:03 PM
What's that mean. Is that a sarcastic comment?

Aquattro
02-17-2015, 11:23 PM
Is that a sarcastic comment?

Guessing yes