PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef RS250 pump replacement ideas??

christyf5
02-14-2015, 07:34 PM
anyone out there still kicking it old school with an Euroreef skimmer? The pump (gx-6000)seems to be packing it in on mine, still works but over the years, swollen impellers have done some damage to the inside (lots of grooves, not sure what they really affect) and for some reason the impeller I have now gets super hot (sedra 9000 impeller, been using them for years) and everything stops working. Anyone have any other alternatives than biting the bullet and getting a new eheim from reefdynamics? The exchange rate is kicking our asses for this stuff right now. I wish this had happened 6 months ago...:neutral:

dino
02-15-2015, 03:36 AM
I had that skimmer and that pump and although it was a beast the motor was high wattage and prone to get swollen impellers. The new impellors where also expensive so I just moved on to the much more efficient and better designed skimmer they have out these days

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:07 AM
Time for a new BK :)

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 04:08 AM
Or, whatever skimmer the Vertex IN 250 uses. You might need to rig up the connection, but comparable pumps.

Scythanith
02-15-2015, 01:54 PM
When I looked to replace a bad ER pump I ended up buying the replacement from Reef Dyanmics. I couldn't find a good replacement, but to be honest I didn't look that hard.

After buying it I second guessed myself and kinf of wished I had spent the money on a new skimmmer. But the ER-RC1000 still is a good skimmer. It's one of the pieces of equipment I have held on to for someday down the road.

Myka
02-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Christy, do you want something plug and play, or are you handy enough to do some modification? If you want plug and play, I don't think there is any option besides the Eheim.

Do you have an old Dart laying around? You need a Dart needlewheel impeller and the matching volute, then you can turn it into a needlewheel pump, and on an RS-250 it makes a BEAST of a skimmer. I'm not sure if these parts are even still around. You need to do some modding of the skimmer body too, and it will be external since the Dart can't get wet. Not exactly an energy efficient option (IIRC, it draws about 150-200 watts as a needlewheel pump), and if you don't have a Dart laying around, then it is not a low-cost replacement either. You can also buy the Dart Needlewheel http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=34380 (that's the only place I've seen them still in stock). It's a long shot, but LMK if you want more info - I remember finding some great pictures around.

Bubble Blaster 5000 I think is another option, not low-cost either - needs some modding. You might find one on a shelf in Canada that pre-dates the exchange rate suckiness though.

FishyFishy!
02-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Take a look at the connections on the new sicce needle wheel pumps. See if they match up. You can find the replacement pumps at reefsupplies.ca

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Or, whatever skimmer the Vertex IN 250 uses. You might need to rig up the connection, but comparable pumps.

I'll need to raid your money tree out back. If I have to buy another skimmer I'm out of this hobby at this point.

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:24 PM
When I looked to replace a bad ER pump I ended up buying the replacement from Reef Dyanmics. I couldn't find a good replacement, but to be honest I didn't look that hard.

After buying it I second guessed myself and kind of wished I had spent the money on a new skimmmer. But the ER-RC1000 still is a good skimmer. It's one of the pieces of equipment I have held on to for someday down the road.

thats kind of where I'm at. I've always been happy with this skimmer, and the swollen impellers every 18mo or so haven't been a huge deal but this time I had to order from J&L instead of OA and they're not the same, the magnet is a bit longer. Anyway, I broke the first ceramic shaft by accident and the second one was a bit longer. The impeller rocketed around in the pump and now its a bloody mess and the second shaft is broken as well. The pump still works fine-ish (its a mess inside from all the swollen impellers etching themselves into it) but if I can't get the impeller locally, thats annoying. I just hate getting bent over for an impeller I used to pay $40 for ($80US plus shipping) so I was thinking a new pump might be the way to go.

How is the impeller with that pump? Any swelling?

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 09:26 PM
I'll need to raid your money tree out back. If I have to buy another skimmer I'm out of this hobby at this point.

If you end up skimmerless, let me know, I have a loaner you can use.

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:27 PM
Christy, do you want something plug and play, or are you handy enough to do some modification? If you want plug and play, I don't think there is any option besides the Eheim.

Do you have an old Dart laying around? You need a Dart needlewheel impeller and the matching volute, then you can turn it into a needlewheel pump, and on an RS-250 it makes a BEAST of a skimmer. I'm not sure if these parts are even still around. You need to do some modding of the skimmer body too, and it will be external since the Dart can't get wet. Not exactly an energy efficient option (IIRC, it draws about 150-200 watts as a needlewheel pump), and if you don't have a Dart laying around, then it is not a low-cost replacement either. You can also buy the Dart Needlewheel http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=34380 (that's the only place I've seen them still in stock). It's a long shot, but LMK if you want more info - I remember finding some great pictures around.

Bubble Blaster 5000 I think is another option, not low-cost either - needs some modding. You might find one on a shelf in Canada that pre-dates the exchange rate suckiness though.

My eyes practically crossed reading this. I currently run a dart as a return so I suppose I could tee it off somewhere but, this tank is currently running on good intentions because thats all I have time for. A replacement plug and play pump is likely the easiest, especially if I have to actually modify the skimmer. That will likely not go well and cost me a new skimmer anyways (my last attempt at modifications was a friggin nightmare and luckily someone came to my rescue big time). Thanks for the info though, its interesting even if totally not do-able for me :biggrin:

Scythanith
02-15-2015, 09:28 PM
I will check when I get home on friday but I mayyyyyy have another impeller. If I do it's yours.

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:29 PM
If you end up skimmerless, let me know, I have a loaner you can use.

Thanks, I'm going to try the RC shop for a new carbon shaft and likely call reefdynamics tomorrow to figure something out.

Aquattro
02-15-2015, 09:29 PM
k. I have a RS180 under the stairs.

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:34 PM
k. I have a RS180 under the stairs.

LOL! theres a lot of space under those stairs eh? :wink:

christyf5
02-15-2015, 09:35 PM
I will check when I get home on friday but I mayyyyyy have another impeller. If I do it's yours.

OMG that would be awesome! Thanks! :mrgreen: