lastlight
02-11-2015, 07:58 PM
WANT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVXgUA_MIP4

lastlight
02-11-2015, 09:06 PM
another link:

http://ecotechtalk.org/threads/9/

What excites me is that I can replace only the drivers on my mp10 and achieve the massive reduction in noise.

"QuietDrive is a new driver technology that will make the dry side motor run smoother and up to 90% more quiet. The way they do this is by efficiently minimizing torque ripple, thereby making the motor run more quiet. The good news is, previously released MP10, MP40 and MP60 VorTech models can run silently as well with just a QuietDrive controller upgrade."

I currently only do a slow ramp up/down on both my pumps since any more chaotic changes result in much more noise. I'd love to be using the other modes.

The Codfather
02-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I'd be more interested in the noise factor for a fast pulse. I never found these to be that loud until I set up as a wave. Think for me, that would be the true test. I find it funny that this was released after they had a "price reduction" and probably sold a large quantity of units.

lastlight
02-11-2015, 11:36 PM
price drop was prob to move remaining old stock. and yeah the fast speed changes are exactly what i want to hear.

gregzz4
02-12-2015, 12:52 AM
WANT.
+1, err make that 2, and maybe a third later :wink:
I'm really looking forward to replacing 2 of my 3 units, but I'll leave the back wall unit as an ES 'till the controller craps out

I hope they don't rape us with the upgrade kits but I won't hold my breath

Thanks for the heads up Brett :smile:

Sharkbait-huhaha
02-12-2015, 01:07 AM
How much would the upgrade driver go for?

kamloops_reefer
02-12-2015, 01:14 AM
these guys have taken their time on this :lol:

I as well would like to see the short pulse mode as well as know what ecotech has in store to support legevity of their products. I.E. make them serviceable by hobbiests or sent back to the manufacturer to get new bearings etc. put inside.

Craigdillman
02-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Honestly after installing the maxspec Gyre I don't think I'll have another vortex in my tank for a while it's that good

lastlight
02-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Looks like the controller is $100 USD. This benefits mp10 and 60 owners but I think other aspects of the mp40 are dated enough to benefit from new dry and wet sides too.

The gyre is cool there's no doubt. But for how my tank is setup and scaped I love my vortechs.

Scythanith
02-12-2015, 03:00 AM
You all just need a fishroom :) All the sound is in the back room!

gregzz4
02-12-2015, 03:44 AM
You all just need a fishroom :) All the sound is in the back room!

So your powerheads are in your fishroom ? :razz:

gregzz4
04-23-2015, 03:34 AM
The MP10QD upgrade is now available in Canada and is going for $75-90. Thanks Canuck Buck :twised:

I broke down today and bought an MP10wQD
I'll replace one of my ES units on the DT and put the ES on my QT/Frag tank for now

I won't be doing the switch tonight but hope when I do I am impressed

gregzz4
04-24-2015, 05:45 AM
First night with the new MP10wQD ...
I installed it in my 20g QT/frag tank. I'm doing this to break it in, and maybe help the frags some as they've been suffering with a MJ400 and MJ600 running 24/7.

Initial impression is somewhat biased as it's a brand-new wet/dry side pair. But I'll say the ramping sound is definitely improved enough to warrant the purchase. The sound is quite different from the other 3 ES units I own. This of course must be from the more fluid/continual signal the dry side is receiving from the new driver programming.
On 100% the new unit is amazingly quiet, but I can't compare it to my others at this time, so I'm only stating this from personal feelings.
I'm interested to see what will happen if I install an upgrade on my quietest 'used-to-be' master. My previous master is now known as 'right' as I'm using ReefLink to program and control all my pumps. ReefLink doesn't use a single pump as a 'master'. You have total control over all your pumps. PM me if you need help with this as it's way too much to try and cover here.

I wish EcoTech would be more consistent with their products as I've never had to touch the dry side on my main unit over the 3 years I've had it running. And it's still the quietest piece out of all 3 units - even after bearing changes on the others.
I'm waiting for the break-in period of a week or so (barring free time) to compare this new unit with my workhorse dead-quiet stock unit.

I have 5 wet sides that I rotate on 3 MP10wES units. I lube the wet sides with Lifegard silicone and it's always made a big difference.
The new wet side that came with the QD unit was very difficult to spin by hand.
When I dis-assembled it I found it was lubed, and the lube felt similar to what I use, so I suspect they've used something similar to help with the 'break-in' period.

That's all for now.

I'll be back with more info as it's pertinent.

Myka
05-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Looking for MP40 QD upgrade reviews! What's the scoop guys?

Aside from Greg's post above, this really isn't a "review" thread yet. :lol:

WarDog
05-14-2015, 05:44 PM
I will be installing my mp40 QD driver this weekend, including before and after tests with a decibel meter. Stay tuned for the results.

Plainswalker
05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I got an MP40wQD to replace an MP10 I was using on the left side of my tank. So far, it's a world of difference flow and noise-wise compared to the MP40wES on the right side. I can barely hear the QD even at 70% while the ES has a very audible whine at that level.

It was so big of a difference that I got a QD driver for the ES. It makes the ES just a little bit louder than the QD, which means it's still ultra-quiet. Worth the price if you have an ES and are looking to upgrade for sure.

sewerman45
05-14-2015, 06:00 PM
I ordered a MP40 QD driver for a noisy MP40 that I had... I didn't expect a miracle but was hoping it would be at least a bit quieter. Before I could hear it a couple rooms away and couldn't put it on pulse or wave mode at all as I could hear the whine of it winding up and down right across the house.

With the new driver it is virtually silent. I am super impressed. I can't hear it at all. If I put my ear against it I can barely hear it. I don't understand how just changing the driver can make such a huge difference. It's still the same motor... but I'm happy about it.

gobytron
05-14-2015, 06:13 PM
So your powerheads are in your fishroom ? :razz:

:lol:

Anyone else feel like this might be orchestrated?

Must be nice to develop a product with some well known shortcomings and then release an upgrade to fix it for top dollar...

It's always good if you can get your customers to pay for the same product twice.

toytech
05-14-2015, 08:01 PM
That's called manufactured obsolescence , everyone does it . Buy a domestic brand car see how long it feels new for , same thing . I do think a lot of expensive R&D went into the new driver its the most expensive part , the actual physical parts are a fraction of what you are paying for . The noise was the only reason I didn't but an mp10 , will probably get one now despite the other problems .

lastlight
05-14-2015, 10:34 PM
there are/were SO many people that for years wouldn't consider a vortech due to their excessive noise. it was a huge complaint the entire time. in this case i do not think it was planned... they'd have sold many more units this entire time had they been quiet all along. i think.

Plainswalker
05-15-2015, 07:28 PM
:lol:

Anyone else feel like this might be orchestrated?

Must be nice to develop a product with some well known shortcomings and then release an upgrade to fix it for top dollar...

It's always good if you can get your customers to pay for the same product twice.

I doubt it was orchestrated, but if it was, then kudos to them because it worked.

It could be something as simple as having a laundry list of innovations they have in a pipeline, and that they were planning to release anyway, and moving the timeline up/down in response to market competition. I don't think it's a coincidence that they released QuietDrive soon after the Gyre hit the market.

gobytron
05-15-2015, 07:31 PM
That's called manufactured obsolescence , everyone does it . Buy a domestic brand car see how long it feels new for , same thing . I do think a lot of expensive R&D went into the new driver its the most expensive part , the actual physical parts are a fraction of what you are paying for . The noise was the only reason I didn't but an mp10 , will probably get one now despite the other problems .

seems like a lot of their RnD would have come from the very same customers who complained and now get to spend another healthy chunk of change on their already pricey pumps...

I get charging more for the upgraded version that is quiet...but charging so much for fixing an issue like this just seems opportunistic and not very customer friendly.

The upside is that this should really drop the price for the older versions...who would want one now with the quieter version available?

shiftline
07-30-2015, 05:33 AM
So has anyone done a good comparisons of the old MP10 vs the QD?

I borrowed a mp10wes to test it out and its nice however it still seems "loud" atlas noticeable from the couch a few feet away. i hear the whirl type sound from the dry side.

Does the MP10WQD have this same issue?
Is it actually much quieter?