PDA

View Full Version : Remora or Remora Pro?

sacrifice333
09-16-2004, 02:59 PM
After months of searching various forums I have concluded that the Remora skimmers are probably the best choice for my non-sumped wannabe reef tank.

I plan to create a decent little reef and am curious as to whether I should just get the Remora or if I should spend the extra $100 and get the Remora Pro.

I have a 50 gallon tank with 2 inch substrate, live rock, soon to have 18*4*9 in. refugium.... so my question is whether the Remora should be sufficient or if I should go for the Pro right off the bat? If you have an opinion on the skimmer could you please leave it along with the reasons for it.

Thanks. :)

StirCrazy
09-16-2004, 11:04 PM
go as big as you can afford, better to over skim than under skim.

Steve

Ken
09-18-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi, for sumpless aquariums under 100 gallons I perfer a hangon skimmer. I highly recommend the remora pro with a mag 3 pump. I had a client aquarium with a chronic algae problem and water quality issues until I talked him into the remora pro skimmer. It was the best choice made. I also used small skimmer such as the Bak Pak from CPR, also good for smaller tank. Some small advice though, I find the optional skimmer box to be too tight for the mag 3 pump but it is usable, perhaps building one yourself. Second, I used a barb fitting with plastic squeeze clamps on the mag 3 connecting to the inlet of the skimmer because on a few ocassion the hose would let go and water would spray everywhere. Regards Ken

marlboro man
09-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Sacrifie333,
I am also looking for a remora, maybe we can do a group buy on this item
and save us some $$$ :biggrin:

sacrifice333
09-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Well... I've purcahsed my Remora Pro w/ Mag 3... should hopefully arrive next weekend... :biggrin:

Ken
09-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Hi, you won't regret it. It's easy to clean and maintain. Basically, it is plug and watch it work. Clean the unit with warm water though before you use it. The collection cup is adjustable, but I left it at the very bottom not raised. Happy water quality! Regards Ken

dirtyreefer
10-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Customer service is good too, Jason Kim (the pres) contacts you directly with a quick response. My collection cup started to crack (probably from heat), and they're replacing it free of cost, I only have to pay for shipping.