PDA

View Full Version : How to- the big tank swap day

jason604
02-11-2015, 04:02 AM
So it's about a week away till my new tank is rdy for the big swap. For ppl who done tank swaps before with lil to no losses, how do u guys do it? For past few weeks I've been slowly adding a cup or 2 of live sand from my existing tank to my new tank and a few small live rock at a time. I put all new sand in the new tank so far with rock that I bleached/acid bath n let cure in a bin for 2months. So on the big day should I take20-30% of my current tank water and swap it with my new tank n move all my corals n fishes into the tank all at once or should I move it slowly over a week or 2 span. I am capable of running 2 tanks at the same time. Old 75g full system will get sold once swap is done.

Madreefer
02-11-2015, 04:15 AM
I've had several tank moves and upgrades. Do it all at once and use all of your tank water. It's very simple and people get too worried and end up complicating things. Trust me it's simple. Good luck
There's a few posts on here on this subject, you should be able to find with the search button.

Nasoblond
02-11-2015, 05:05 AM
I would use as much of the water from your old tank to have less stress on all the corals.... once things get used to the change you can look at changing out the water in water changes...
Good Luck...it will all be fine..

jason604
02-11-2015, 05:13 AM
If I use all the water do I still have to drop acclimate my fishes and inverts for few hours?

e46er
02-11-2015, 05:29 AM
no i wouldnt bother unless your making a huge change ie 30 gal system to 150 gal where current water is a small portion of new system volume.
ive never swappped or upgraded tanks still on the orginal 120 but have moved it a few times never acculimated fish n inverts

Reeferluke
02-11-2015, 04:26 PM
I've had several tank moves and upgrades. Do it all at once and use all of your tank water. It's very simple and people get too worried and end up complicating things. Trust me it's simple. Good luck
There's a few posts on here on this subject, you should be able to find with the search button.

+ 1. Don't over think it

lastlight
02-11-2015, 06:45 PM
i just made sure my 400 was really well cycled before i transferred all my livestock from my 97. i just tried to make my levels and temp as close as possible. was like doing a 100% water change really. just moved rocks and corals and was done. my colours really took off too afterwards. i didn't do anything special i just moved everything and dropped it in.

jason604
02-11-2015, 06:47 PM
K I'll try to use as much of my tank water as I can. So if I do that the water in my new tank right now I can just put that in bins wih power head n save that for future water changes right?

Ryanerickson
02-11-2015, 08:35 PM
I would dump the new old water I think trying to keep that water is just being cheap. but I also would just match the new water to be close to the same and use it.i have never used old water in new tank and never really had issues like lastlight said just make sure it's cycled long enough.

lastlight
02-11-2015, 08:36 PM
just don't bring your sand with you. don't even disturb it.

mseepman
02-11-2015, 08:42 PM
I used prodibio startup along with all new rock that I had been cycling in a garbage can for about 10 Months along with new sand and it went flawlessly. The new tank was up for 5 days before the move.

jason604
02-12-2015, 04:44 AM
K I'll dump water in new tank. I thought I could use it CUZ it's like super super clean. N just changed last week

Ryanerickson
02-12-2015, 06:14 AM
just don't bring your sand with you. don't even disturb it.
Yes this would be bad all the dirty secrets are hidden in there😏

jason604
02-17-2015, 11:27 PM
Dropped a hermit into the tank last night no acclimation or anything to see if it survives. N yes this morning it's still strong as ever. Grabbed on the rocks with a lot of strength when I tried to pull it off lol. Ima drop a snail in soon and if that survives without acclimation I'm sure I'm good