PDA

View Full Version : Clam spawning

asylumdown
02-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Does this mean it's happy as a... well, clam? Or is it a sign of stress like it sometimes is with turbo snails?

Myka
02-10-2015, 02:14 AM
It could be either. Is it a recent purchase? Has it looked stressed at all? Gaping? Pinched?

On the other hand, you're doing a big waterchange and putting some fresh carbon in right now, right? ;)

asylumdown
02-10-2015, 02:21 AM
no, I've it longer than any other livestock, it literally pre-dates the tank. I bought it as a tiny little guy that lived in my 4 gallon pico before the house was built, and it was the second or third thing I put in the display almost three years ago. It's survived every stupid thing I've done to this tank.

It wasn't a very big spawn, if that's what it was. I only noticed it because it started right as I shut the pumps off to feed the fish just now - out of the corner of my eye I noticed (gross warning) a jet of what snot looks like when you've been in the pool for too long erupting at an angle from the rock it's on.

It wasn't cloudy, more chunky. It might have just been poop?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-10-2015, 04:21 AM
Well, a year ago I was holding some clams for someone in my tank and they spawned. Woke up to a stinking white mess in my tank. Could barely see inside. It was nasty and really did a number on the corals and clams. Had to do 2 or 3 big water changes and lots of carbon and purigen to finally get the water clear again.

Craigdillman
02-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Yea keep and eye out had a buddy's clam spawn in his 40g and managed to wipe out most of the tank and no the spawning didn't end up with a Ton of new clams too sell

Myka
02-10-2015, 02:10 PM
no, I've it longer than any other livestock, it literally pre-dates the tank. I bought it as a tiny little guy that lived in my 4 gallon pico before the house was built, and it was the second or third thing I put in the display almost three years ago. It's survived every stupid thing I've done to this tank.

It wasn't a very big spawn, if that's what it was. I only noticed it because it started right as I shut the pumps off to feed the fish just now - out of the corner of my eye I noticed (gross warning) a jet of what snot looks like when you've been in the pool for too long erupting at an angle from the rock it's on.

It wasn't cloudy, more chunky. It might have just been poop?

Doesn't really sound like spawning. Spawning is like it's shooting milk out. It will squeeze the shell together as it lets a squirt out. Skimmer will be going nuts. Sometimes they will spawn for hours, and if you have more than one clam, one spawning will often trigger the others too, so it can get ridiculous.

reefwars
02-10-2015, 02:11 PM
I took a video of the large maxima in the 500g display at work , i just happened to witness it spawning and got it on video , this lasted for about 20mins.

If its a large clam when it spawns you'll know it lol although with my water volume the tank was more of a hazy white than a complete white out:)

Delphinus
02-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Clam spawns will happen on occasion. You have to be careful because one can usually set off a number of them and then you have a small problem on your hands.

That said ... a spawn is unmistakably .. a ... um ... a spawn (there's no delicate way to say this or what it smells like).

Dark and chunky expellate (is that a word? You know what I mean) may just be expelling zooxanthellae. This also happens from time to time. Spring cleaning, in a manner of speaking, I suppose.