PDA

View Full Version : Furnace replacement

Marcus K
09-16-2004, 03:35 AM
Our furnace is getting to the age that it could fail and is not very efficient. We are able to get some grant money back if we go High Efficient and could get financing at prime. We have had half a dozen estimates and still I have no idea what brand, mid or high, 2 stage,DC motor. Costs seem to range from $2000-$5000. Thats alot more than I had expected. Anyone a heating expert of have had thiers replaced?

Marcus

UnderWorldAquatics
09-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Ive done heating and airconditioning for a few yars, what are you looking to do with it? how big is the house?how many levels is the house? levels? natural gas I assume? are you going to have airconduitioning as well?

LostMind
09-16-2004, 03:49 AM
I have a 2700 sq ft home - 3 levels.

For $7.5k I got a new hot water tank, new ultra high efficient furnace (3 stage motor I believe), UV filter, and AC.

Oh, that includes all the install labour and removal of the old junk.

HTH

UnderWorldAquatics
09-16-2004, 04:00 AM
For $7.5k HTH

Im so glad that when we put in our new furnace, air conditioning, and tankless water heater, I will be doing it myself and buying it at wholesale.....

Everything should cost me $2000-$2500 max taxes in

Marcus K
09-16-2004, 04:20 AM
Kyle, when are you comming to Regina? :biggrin: Our house is 920sq. ft bungalow with a 115k btu 60% est furnace right now. Our quotes have been for a 60k-85k btu, 90%-96.6% Afue rating. From single stage gas to DC motor.
I am leaning towards a 2 stage that is 90%, still not sure on the DC motor part, houses with AC on seem to be way too cold for me. We are not sure if this house is a long term home as we have no garage and a yard that would be too small with one. Them brand names, Bryant, Carrier, Lennox, Tempstar, Coleman, Trane, York, Armstrong, Keeprite, and Rheem just to name a few. Last decision is the filter, we have two Dals and a Ragdoll X Siamese cat. With a new son I would like to have a good filter.
I have heard that High Efficient furnaces can cause humidity changes.
I need to decide on
Brand
Afue
2 stage gas valve
DC motor
Filter type

Marcus

LostMind
09-16-2004, 07:15 AM
For $7.5k HTH

Im so glad that when we put in our new furnace, air conditioning, and tankless water heater, I will be doing it myself and buying it at wholesale.....

Everything should cost me $2000-$2500 max taxes in

I've heard this from 2 friends who do heating and plumbing too. Then I showed them the invoice and the work that was actually done and they said they couldnt do it for much cheaper themselves. IE - if I actually contracted them out. So, I suppose I didnt get a half bad deal. Apparently I went WAY overboard on the furnace. the 3 stage motor and all was far too much for most houses I'm told :)

Marcus, I've heard nothing but good things about the uv filters. I really notice an air quality difference since I had the new setup installed.

Doug
09-16-2004, 01:41 PM
May be some good info or links on this site Marcus.

www.housesmartcenter.com

Its Shell Busey,s website.

Delphinus
09-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Marcus, I've heard nothing but good things about the uv filters. I really notice an air quality difference since I had the new setup installed.

Sounds interesting, how does this work?

Old Guy
09-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I replaced my furnace in 2000. Went with American Standard(Trane) 2 stage High Efficient and added Central Air. Cost me 9300 and have no regrets so far. My bills are 1/2 what they used to be. I made my decisions on what I learned at www.hvac-talk.com . Great site with helpful contractors and end users alike.

Jeff

LostMind
09-16-2004, 04:42 PM
Tony, it works exactly like the uv filters for our tanks :)

They cut a hole in the piping, put in this unit with 2? bulbs, sealed it back up and turned it on. The light burns up just about everything that goes by it.

Delphinus
09-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, that's keen. I never would have guessed you could do that.

Is it just that it's fatal to airborne pathogens? I assume it does not really do anything to aid in the removal of particulates. Or is there literally nothing left after it's "burned up" ? (Sorry I guess I'm just a little slow on the uptake this morning. :redface: )

Marcus K
09-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the great links, just have to spend some time reading now.
Thanks again

Marcus

StirCrazy
09-16-2004, 11:16 PM
my mistake, just read up on it.. he was talking hot water heater also though it was that which he was steralizing.

Steve

Delphinus
09-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Now I'm totally confused.

Lostmind, Is this on the furnace or the water line?