PDA

View Full Version : White Dots...should I be worried? HELP!!

Metrontech
02-09-2015, 05:19 AM
So I added my first few frags a few days ago from a health established tank...

Are these white dots ok? Its that healthy growth or disease?

Please help ASAP

Thanks

Mike

Craigdillman
02-09-2015, 05:38 AM
Pics not showing up are the white on the frag? Also did you dip or inspect the coral at all befor ?

Metrontech
02-09-2015, 05:48 AM
The coral was out of a healthy live tank...

They looked fine when I put them in

I think its healthy polyps coming out for feeding...

What do you think?

GoFish
02-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Not sure if it's as hardy as the Yellow and red corals/anemone'things :lol: but looks like you just added a "leather" coral, they're quite easy to keep and by transferring it it may just be going through a shedding phase. The white dots in your picture are spaced as though they are polyps, maybe not fully extended but nothing to worry about just yet. Give it some time to come around

Metrontech
02-09-2015, 06:26 AM
I appreciate the response... Amazing how this hobby can keep a guy up at night ;)

Very new to this so the feedback is crucial

I fed the new frags snow today, and that happened

Hope they all grown fast and healthy

When can I move them to a more permanent spot? The sand isn't that deep

Thanks again!

Mike

GoFish
02-09-2015, 06:51 AM
No worries

How old is your tank and what type of lights are you using... I tend to place new frags on the bottom, too much light and new water conditions can cause more stress and bleaching.
Go slow, read lots and welcome to Canreef :smile:

Metrontech
02-09-2015, 12:46 PM
I'm sure I will get all sorts of flack for this...

My tank is one month old...

Probably too early for coral but I was eager and I have great water

We will see...

asylumdown
02-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Your tank isn't too young for the kind of coral I saw in that picture so long as you cycled it, but it is very, very young. To be on the safe side you should test for ammonia periodically over the next couple of weeks just to be sure and treat with prime or something if the test turns colour. Just remember - slow and steady wins the race!

Leather corals are a sadly over-looked coral these days. Small and new to a tank they usually look terrible, but when they are big and happy they are truly spectacular.

but ditto - those white dots are a normal part of the coral's anatomy, the fact that they were poking out is a good sign. Google "Mushroom leather coral polyps" and you'll get a sense of what it will look like when they're fully extended.

Madreefer
02-10-2015, 02:58 AM
Until you do a whole lot of research maybe stick to those yellow corals you have on the rocks behind your leather coral.
And you don't need to feed your corals by the way.

jason604
02-10-2015, 03:22 AM
Is that yellow thing fake?

hunggi74
02-10-2015, 04:36 AM
We've all been new to the hobby at some point so I think we can understand your anxiety and impatience. I'm sure everyone has added a coral or two or three at the beginning stages of their tank that was 'iffy':lol: This forum and others will definitely save you time and money if you use it to your advantage. Asking questions and helping each other out is the best part about these forums. You might really consider removing the ornaments from your tank before the paint chips off or leeches out into your water. I had pretty bad experiences with ornaments and that was in freshwater, nevermind saltwater. Good luck on your journey into the hobby.