PDA

View Full Version : JL aquatics semi-cured live rock

fluxuploll
02-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Hey guys!

Can anyone who bought J&L aquatic's semi-cured live rocks in store comment on how long their live rocks take to cure? I went in yesterday and the rocks looks clean with little die off and smell. I'm deciding on buying the rocks from J&L or Aquariums West or from sellers on Canreef.

Thanks!

gmann
02-08-2015, 10:50 AM
be cheaper to buy off members plus the rock would already be cured.

Coasting
02-08-2015, 11:58 AM
There will always be some die off no matter who or where you buy from. Its just what happens when you remove rock from water and transport then change to different water.
You will still need to allow the rock to cycle properly.
Ive seen a few members only use rock from stores or order direct and not have it even touch store water to avoid pests lile aiptasia thats so easy to get from member tanks. Maybe one of them will post.

Aquattro
02-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately there is no solid answer for this. All rock is different. I had 2 orders of rock, a month apart, from Walt Smith. First order made my house smell so bad I thought we would need a hotel for a week. Took weeks to cure. Emptied skimmer almost hourly in the beginning.
Next batch, looked the same, but no smell at all. Hardly skimmed. I added to my tank in a week, and would have added sooner if I didn't have other things to do.

Basically, the rock takes as long as it takes, and you use it when it's ready.

As a rough guidleine, semi cured tells me that it's been with them a while and would likely need a week or less. Or not.

I wouldn't buy used rock from anyone unless I knew how old it was and how it was taken care of. If you buy rock that's been covered in detritus for 5 years in some grungy unmaintained tank, you're buying yourself some issues.
And that 5 year old rock was robably bought used from someone else :)

If you know the history of the rock, and you're comfy with it's quality, then it might be a good idea.

My last concern is if you're just starting out, and already worrying about how long something takes (1 week vs 10 days) then you might want to pick a different, faster paced hobby. The biggest skill a reefer needs is patience :razz: