PDA

View Full Version : Local West Coast Seaweed For Tangs

saltdog
02-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Anyone collect the local West Coast seaweed to feed to their Tangs? I have read on Reef Central that some of the East Coast ( Boston ) people are collecting the bright green seaweed from tide pools and feeding it to Tangs and they are getting big and fat.

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 05:06 PM
I think they would eat it, but I'd be concerned about built up toxins from coastal waters locally.

Reef Pilot
02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
I think they would eat it, but I'd be concerned about built up toxins from coastal waters locally.
Haha, esp near Victoria,... or Tofino.

Aquattro
02-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Haha, esp near Victoria,... or Tofino.

Nah, Victoria's toxins flow right down to Seattle :)

But in general, algae, as we all know, is great at taking up the nutrients in the water. When those "nutrients" are petroleum based, I'd be concerned lol

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-07-2015, 05:38 PM
When I was a grad student, we were actually doing a study on growing floating kelp beds outside the Victoria sewage outlet as a means of nutrient export.

But yeah, I don't think I'd want to add anything like that into my tanks mainly due to leaching of toxins into my reef tank water, as well as the toxins being fed to my fish. If it was further north in a secluded bay then I'd probably do it if necessary.

saltdog
02-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Yeah your probably right lol:lol:, anyway it's easier to get it from Chinatown or the Asian section at the grocery store