PDA

View Full Version : ATO suggestions

Howie
02-07-2015, 04:06 AM
I am going to be purchasing an ATO soon for my 180G and was hoping for some suggestions. I have read good things on the tunze, are there any other good ones out there?

ronau
02-07-2015, 04:14 AM
I have an Avast Marine, it's worked great for the last year.

krisjoseph
02-07-2015, 04:48 AM
I have a Hydor Smart Level and have found it very reliable. I'll freely admit it's my first-ever ATO, though :mrgreen:

WarDog
02-07-2015, 04:58 AM
I have a Hydor Smart Level and have found it very reliable. I'll freely admit it's my first-ever ATO, though :mrgreen:

Same here, I've been running mine a WHOLE 3 WEEKS lol, no complaints yet.

rishu_pepper
02-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Had been using a Tunze nano ATO with no problems, easy to set up.

Now bought a Tunze Osmolator full size, waiting to put on my new tank. Should be a breeze too.

Skimmin
02-07-2015, 07:16 AM
I use a tunze. Its ok. If water level increases an alarm goes off which is really annoying. So if you shut your return pump off to feed the tank you have to shut off the ato so the alarm doesnt go off. I'm probably going try something else soon. The other thing is I've had a red low alarm for no apparent reason too. Only happed a couple times but thought I'd mention it.

albert_dao
02-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Hydor lover here.

whatcaneyedo
02-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Two float switches and a maxi jet pump turned my Apex into an ATO a few years ago after my old Tunze started acting up. I think I got 6 good years out of the Tunze, I just didn't feel like forking out the cash for a new one when I already had the controller.

Howie
02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. The avast is probably off my list as they are out of stock on some items.

Questions for all those who use hydor, what pumps are you running with it?

And thanks for the feed back regarding the tunze. Lol hmmm decisions decisions....

Howie
02-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Two float switches and a maxi jet pump turned my Apex into an ATO a few years ago after my old Tunze started acting up. I think I got 6 good years out of the Tunze, I just didn't feel like forking out the cash for a new one when I already had the controller.

Lol I would love to do that, Santa must of forgot to leave an apex for me this year.

albert_dao
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. The avast is probably off my list as they are out of stock on some items.

Questions for all those who use hydor, what pumps are you running with it?

And thanks for the feed back regarding the tunze. Lol hmmm decisions decisions....

Tom Aqualifter. Whatever you use, it has to be a pretty small pump. Otherwise it does stupid stuff.

WarDog
02-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Tom Aqualifter. Whatever you use, it has to be a pretty small pump. Otherwise it does stupid stuff.

I'm using a Rio 600 and its too big. Had to add a ball valve on the output of the hose.

BuschWacker
02-07-2015, 06:32 PM
I've got the hydor as well, and my only complaint is the overflow sensor is to close to the off sensor. I had a hard time getting it to fill without turning the alarm on. The pump that was recommended was way to small. It had a hard time pumping the water only a few feet, and was also affected by the water level in my reservoir. It pumped to much water when the reservior was full, and struggled to pump anything when it was less then half. I would recommend a dosing pump, or diaphragm pump. I ended up buying a innovative marine hYdrofill ato pump. It's quiet and works flawlessly.

WarDog
02-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Here is a pic of the ATO in action. The minimum run time is 20 seconds so I've had to slow the pump action with a TLF 1/2" ball valve, as I mentioned.
If it fills too fast the water level will rise and alarm will sound (annoying), not to mention messing up your salinity.
I have also noticed that the sensor needs to be cleaned of salt creep once a week. I use a Q-Tip.
Overall it seems like a good system, so far.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7366/16280771527_9bca8050c8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qNFdan)

Howie
02-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Well I decided I would get the hydor and give it a try along with a eheim compact 300. Should have it by next weekend lol. Thanks for the advice and the tips.

shiftline
02-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Let me know how you like the Hydor.. I was going to buy that one then ended up making my own DIY Arduino Auto top off with optical sensor (http://fishtankprojects.com/diy-aquarium-projects/diy-auto-top-off-arduino-optical-ato.html) Its a similair idea to Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

The Guy
02-14-2015, 06:54 AM
$40 aquahub DIY ato from BRS and any little pump $15-20 is what I use works perfect.

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Plumbed directly into my RO unit, never needs filling :)

shiftline
02-14-2015, 02:59 PM
That's a nice feature. I was going to automate water changes but I'm setting up the new tank in the living room. It would be along way to fish wires Defiantly a nice way to go though!

Aquattro
02-14-2015, 03:01 PM
That's a nice feature. I was going to automate water changes but I'm setting up the new tank in the living room. It would be along way to fish wires Defiantly a nice way to go though!

I went through a wall and used some baseboard conduit. Haven't topped up my tank in 5 years.

Humpty
02-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Im using the Tunze ato and never had any problems with it. I flipped over the floater sensor and polaced it at the bottom of my top off tank. It will go off when the water gets down to about an inch so I know I need to change it.

xenon
02-18-2015, 03:03 PM
Plumbed directly into my RO unit, never needs filling :)

Got anything in place to prevent failure?

That's a disaster waiting to happen. :twised:

Howie
03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Well I finally got around to making room under my stand for the ato reservoir. Today I got the hydor ato with an eheim compact 600 pump installed and so far I love it!

mark
03-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Got anything in place to prevent failure?

That's a disaster waiting to happen. :twised:

I'm around 9 years with a float valve on the rodi, still waiting.