PDA

View Full Version : Had My First Flood

jgoldsney
09-15-2004, 03:27 PM
Well It didn't take long.....:)

I am continuing to fill my tank and forgot to shut off the RO last night and it filled a little higher then I would have liked.....water flowed throught one of the loc-line returns and down in to my stand. Not too much but as the floor of the stand is only partially completed some ran on to the carpet. All in all I would bet that it was only about 1L of liquid but it re-enforced to me the fact that I have to have an automated top up system because my memory SUCKS!! :D

Joel

Quinn
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Pretty aggravating isn't it. One thing I found after moving my stand is that my tank was so heavy, apparently water couldn't get under the stand to rot into the carpet! So my carpet is actually in really good shape considering the gallons of mucky saltwater that ended up on it.

Automated top off is good. Which reminds me, I have a DIY top off if anyone wants it...

Chad
09-15-2004, 06:41 PM
I have flooded my RO/DI top off area a good 3 to 4 times.. Easily dumping atleast 20 gals of water all over the floor.. needless to say I had to rip out the carpet. I now have lenolium (sp) there.. but even that is curling up from another flood!!! I now have my fill bucket with an automatic drain into the sink.. no more floods for me!!

jgoldsney
09-15-2004, 07:33 PM
LOL that is exactly what I was thinking of doing as I drove back from lunch

My original plan was to have a solenoid on the input to the RO system and then feed the output of the RO to a Kalk reactor and then to the sump

This will still be the end plan but due to a lack of time I pan on using a plastic pail as an intermediate reservoir. I will then have an overflow to the drain. Instead of switching a solenoid I will just turn a PH on and off.

Joel

monza
09-16-2004, 05:35 AM
Sooo many mini floods. The last one was the kicker not so mini just happened the other night. (long and I’m a bad story writer)

I pump from my RO/DI reservoir to my mixing bucket; I did that then turned off the pump and forgot to turn off the valve. So when my auto top off asks for water, instead of going up to my tank (floor above) went into the bucket overflowed on to the floor. A day and a half at 75 Gal. a day equals lots of water on the rug. Best part yet to come.

I figure that’s the last time I'm going to try and dry the skank old rug. Proceed to rip out the carpet, move everything out of the room. Leave one shelf full of stuff that I move pull the rug and move pull the rug. Remember it’s an old rug flooded a few times sopping wet, I'm bitter. Almost done pulling out the last of those wood strips that hold the rug down and pokes you full of holes. I bang the shelf something falls...bad sound, a WD 40 can falls gets punctured starts spinning & spraying all over my fish room. I jump up bolt for it slip on WD smash my head, spin around to the WD can covered in it! WD 40 all over the room and that shelf. That shelf … every thing fish related, part, pumps, spares things fish stuff in general. Of course my better half sticks her head around the corner at that time, “every thing Ok?” Tossed most all of it and the room just has this greasy feel to it.

Great way to start the remodeling of my fish room getting ready for a new tank.

Chad
09-16-2004, 06:35 AM
oooohh.. that just sounds bad.. I can only imagine it actualy happening... But why did you have WD40 in your fish room?

LostMind
09-16-2004, 07:04 AM
yah, that sounds horrid man.

wd in a fish room... seems strange. maybe its for his arthritis? hehe

monza
09-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Was not really just a fish room, soon to be. Contains my chillers and it's where I mix water. Beside that a general storage room with everything in it, packed full of house hold ....junk.

StirCrazy
09-16-2004, 11:00 PM
oooohh.. that just sounds bad.. I can only imagine it actualy happening... But why did you have WD40 in your fish room?

cuz it works good when you spray your fish hooks with it.. I think they like the smell.

Steve

Richer
09-17-2004, 12:33 AM
I just had a flood of my own this afternoon. I came home for lunch today and went downstairs to check out my tank. Just as I was walking down the stairs, I hear a splashing noise... turns out, the water line I use to autofill my tank came off of its mounting, and was now spilling water (laced with dissolved kalk from my reactor) all over the floor. Took me the better part of my lunch time to clean the entire mess up. I managed to fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water I got from my mop :evil: . Thank goodness I have hardwood floors... I can't imagine dealing with carpet :eek:

-Richer

Canadian Man
09-17-2004, 01:44 AM
I just got 2 new 33g buckets and instaled one of those auto turn off things on my fw containers. Probably the best purchase I have ever made. :cool:

I have too often forgot to turn off the ro/di unit and have come home from work and found 10g or so of water on the tank floor. Good thing the room is sealed and would hold a couple hundred gallons on the floor.
:lol:

monza
09-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Now I just had my first flood after removing carpet, wow the water really travels across the basement now! :evil:

It happened because I moved some hoses around cleaning and snagged my top off float so it kept asking for RO/DI water and over filled my storage container.