PDA

View Full Version : Where to get silica sand?

ron101
10-05-2002, 01:27 AM
Anyone know where to get lighter colored silica in the greater Vancouver area? I recall some people mentioning that sandblasting sand fits the bill. I've checked Home Depot and all they seem to have is a darker playsand.
TIA

Ryan7
10-05-2002, 02:02 AM
Big Al's Aquarium has light coloured silica sand, they have a location in Richmond and in Burnaby thou. The good thing about thiers is it contains no glass. Most silica sand has glass in it which can be irretative to some fish.

reefburnaby
10-05-2002, 02:28 AM
Hi,

Sandblasting sand can be found at local industry supply stores (those that sell sandblasting equipment like KMS Tools in Coquitlam) and some aquarium stores (like King Eds). If you buy more than 4 or 5 bags, then you can buy direct from the local sand crusher...Target. They are near Burnaby Lake Park (near the Costco in Burnaby, which is near the closest Skytrain stop for SFU students). Target sells them for about $9 for 50lb.

- Victor.

Tau2301
10-05-2002, 07:53 PM
Try glass shot peen, shape is round, like millions of tiny marbles. Being made of glass it is inert like the glass walls of your tank.

Comes in a various sizes so you can custom blend to for the right DSB mixture.

Got mine at a welding supply store.