PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp (maple ridge bc)

Adamk
02-06-2015, 01:57 AM
So after 2 months of silence I finally found my mantis (i thought he was dead) and with a little persistence a pop bottle and some mysis I caught him... so if anyone wants him come get him...pm for pics with a phone #

Adamk
02-06-2015, 01:27 PM
free... don't want to flush the poor little guy

warriorcookie
02-07-2015, 05:12 AM
I'm in the middle of trying to catch a Mantis Shrimp too.

What was the trick, just patience? Did you get him at night or during the day?

Adamk
02-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Mostly patience.. I caught a lot of hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp and I had to chase my blenny away from the trap everytime i dropped it in.. I used the pop bottle trap with a string attached so i could pull it out quick. he would always circle it a bunch of time and try to go under it when I had it in the sand. finally I Propped it up on a 45 degree angle close to his favorite hole and he just popped right in... only bait I used was frozen Mysis and always set up in the evening with the lights on low, seemed to be when he was most active. I also didn't feed for the day, I only have lps coral and clean up crew right now with one moly miller blenny so no big deal to starve them.

good luck let me know if you get him

jjason75
02-07-2015, 07:23 AM
I'm in the middle of trying to catch a Mantis Shrimp too.

What was the trick, just patience? Did you get him at night or during the day?

My experience: I observe which live rock did the mantis hide, and then took the rock out. Dip it in fresh water, and the little guy quickly comes out ...