PDA

View Full Version : ID Please

Checkda_o_r
02-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Hello fellow canreefers!
I have this aiptasia looking thing, came with a hammer that I bought a few months ago. It actually looked like a tiny brown daisy coral when I first got it but has since grown to this. I am pretty much done a big battle with aiptasia by purchasing 2 peppermints, they went to town on about 50 aiptasias in about a month! But they have never touched this. You can't really see in the pic but it does have small purple tips and some green hues in the body.

Please tell me its something good! haha

Craigdillman
02-05-2015, 07:22 PM
kill it with fire

but for real try some aphasia x or other products

gobytron
02-05-2015, 07:36 PM
kill it with fire

but for real try some aphasia x or other products

Doesn't look like aiptasia...

Possibly a pest but possibly not.

I wouldn't kill it just yet if it isn't spreading to other areas of your tank.

Slyguy00
02-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Looks like a pest to me. Get it out asap

gobytron
02-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Looks like a pest to me. Get it out asap

what about it says "pest" over just being a benign inhabitant?

It's not Aiptasia and it's not a Mojano...

GoFish
02-05-2015, 09:54 PM
I've had the same things for almost 3 years, never figured out what they were. Haven't had any problems with them other than their population slowly increases, which I keep in check by injecting them once in a while with something acidic. They're quite hardy

I'd consider anything a pest that spreads wherever it chooses and doesnt seem to benefit my reef.

gobytron
02-05-2015, 10:49 PM
I have a hard time believing noone on this site can ID this thing.

You description of pests would actually suit quite a few corals I have had over the years...

Xenia for example or montis...

Slyguy00
02-05-2015, 11:03 PM
That's cause Xenia is a pest. Looks like crap and grows to Damn fast. That thing is definitely related to aptasia and I bet you it stings surrounding corals. And if it spreads fast looks like **** and stings things it's a pest.

Ryanerickson
02-05-2015, 11:17 PM
That's cause Xenia is a pest. Looks like crap and grows to Damn fast. That thing is definitely related to aptasia and I bet you it stings surrounding corals. And if it spreads fast looks like **** and stings things it's a pest.

+1
goby may like or collect this kinda stuff but to most its a pest and will slowly spread. 95% sure it's majano.

Slyguy00
02-05-2015, 11:56 PM
+1
goby may like or collect this kinda stuff but to most its a pest and will slowly spread. 95% sure it's majano.

Glad someone agrees. Give it to gobytron he's into that sorta thing

toytech
02-06-2015, 12:08 AM
If its coming out of the skeleton its probably a Duncan coral , there are empty skeleton next to it , duncans are tough and can come back from a shrunken head .

reefwars
02-06-2015, 12:36 AM
If its coming out of the skeleton its probably a Duncan coral , there are empty skeleton next to it , duncans are tough and can come back from a shrunken head .

yeah thats what im thinking as well , looks to be a duncan coral the tentacle numbers are spot on and not for a majano or aiptasia:)

Ryanerickson
02-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Nice hitch hiker in that case😄

Slyguy00
02-06-2015, 01:14 AM
I have baby Duncan's.. Sure don't look like that. I could be wrong but that doesn't look like any Duncan's IV ever seen.

reefwars
02-06-2015, 01:23 AM
I have baby Duncan's.. Sure don't look like that. I could be wrong but that doesn't look like any Duncan's IV ever seen.

A pics worth a thousand words ;)

reefwars
02-06-2015, 01:32 AM
Although should be no problem telling diff from lps or anemone :) I am curious what it is now lol

Checkda_o_r
02-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Nice to see theres some interest in this! haha i also didnt think it was an aiptasia, it has less and thicker tentacles and has some pretty nice color to it. It doesnt have a exo but it does move every now then, so its got some feet! Only moves within an inch from where it is. Since my peppermints aint touchin it.. i think i will keep it! Sorry goby :)
Thank u everyone for ur input. Ill keep u guys posted on how it grows

gregzz4
02-06-2015, 05:30 AM
Because you say it moves it's definately not something such as a duncan and must be some kind of 'nem

I'll vote it's a mojano, or some other pest 'nem

Keep an eye on it and remove it if it causes you issues
Otherwise, think of it as a free critter that looks great :wink: